Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,624   Online: 1286

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightest 6x7?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Lightest 6x7?

I often backpack in the mountains and sometimes carry my Pentax 67II with wide angle lens (either the 55mm or more usually 75mm) as I love the 6x7 format. Love this camera but it's heavy for mountain trips.

I'm looking for suggestions for the most lightweight 6x7 as possible with wide-angle lens. I think folders are out, as they look difficult to use with my Lee Grad Filters...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mamiya 7 with either 43, 50, or 65mm lens absolutely. Great camera, great optics. Everyone is going recommend this camrea for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What Brian said...

Richard Wasserman

http://www.richardwasserman.net

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    But guys, if folders are out because the difficulty using grad filters, then Mamiya 7 isn't going to cut it either. Read the OP again.

Bronica GS-1? Maybe too heavy too? A small LF camera - like a Galvin with a 6x7 rollfilm holder and a 65 mm Angulon.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    2x3 Crown Graphics are actually lighter than a Mamiya 7IIs and they can do up to 6x9. According to weights I can gather: Mamiya 7 + 90mm = 5.4 lbs, 2x3 Crown with lens and back = 4.4 lbs. The lenses are also much smaller- you could get a 47mm Super Angulon as your wide angle and it's a tiny tiny lens. It's also a much cheaper system to setup than a Mamiya 7II, the disadvantage is you will probably have to do ground glass focusing, and you will need an external meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just curious, why would folders be difficult to use w/ grad filters? Are you using gelatin or threaded filters?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No contest; Plaubel Makina 67W

Very pricy however.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Just curious, why would folders be difficult to use w/ grad filters? Are you using gelatin or threaded filters?
    as far as i know and without too much experience with rangefinders it must be a pita to set up a grad filter without looking thru the lens. I'm sure you can make a guess judging how things look thru the finder, but after climbing for hours not nailing the shot must be sad...
    But maybe there are special solutions for grad filters and rangefinders as there are with polarizers...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, great point. I must admit, that aspect didn't even cross my mind... goes to show you I've never really used a rangefinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to admit I missed the part about grad filters–don't really have a good idea for that.

Mamiya 7 with 80mm lens weighs 2.6 pounds and has about the best lenses available.

Richard Wasserman

http://www.richardwasserman.net

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin