Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,131   Online: 889

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya RB67 Pro S Back - Repairs Manauls

One of my backs is playing up. The counter is stuck on a number and doesn't reset when opened. I could count the wind-ons to frame one (and beyond) I guess but would prefer to fix it. Also the winder stick at some point with every film giving either blank or double exposed sections on each film.

The cost of repair will outweight the cost a new (secondhand) back so I'm game to give it a go to fix it myself. Does anyone know where i can get a repair manual or layout diagram for the Pro-S backs before I attempt to pull it apart? I've searched high and low!

Many thanks,

Guy

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have never seen an online repair guide for RB backs apart from DIY light seal instructions. You could fish around for just a 120 Pro S 120 insert. Failing that, a used 120 Pro S back might be the easiest solution since they're not uncommon on the used market. I'm guessing yours is probably just worn out based on the busted counter and advance issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry for the late reply. One of my three Pro-S backs did the same thing recently, and for the same reasons as you I decided it was not worth it to send it in for repair. So, out with the camera repair tool box and let's see if I can fix this thing. It CAN'T be all THAT complicated, just a film counter and advance ratchet.

Not so fast, my friend. My eyes got big when I took the cover off. That thing looked like a Swiss watch inside. Fortunately, mine had an obvious problem: the main cast metal piece the advance lever and return spring drop into had one of it's two large "arms" broken off. Easy fix with JB weld. Reassembled and tested, but although the film counter and advance now work (for three or four frames, at least) the back jammed after that. I haven't had the moxie to take it apart again, but trust me, that is NOT a simple mechanical assembly in there. I know my limits and I'm not Jimmy Koh, so guess I'll fumble along with my remaining two backs but start looking for a replacement! I also have wished for a repair manual for the backs, but not sure that animal exists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's one thing to have the service manual, and another to be able to repair it.
    Ben

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Unless you get lucky with a repair manual(and don't need parts), I'd just shop for a new back. You might get lucky and find just the 120 insert. A Pro back is another option but these are even older. NOS Pro S 120 backs show up occasionally on the big auction site.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had a back that kicked the bucket--so I tore into it--it would make a Swiss watchmaker proud!!! They are just a tad more complicated than one would think! But other than lightseals it is just not worth repairing---eBay and KEH are the place to go, but I have noticed the prices are climbing up slightly. Don't know if the supply is shrinking, or if the demand is going up.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 23mjm View Post
    I had a back that kicked the bucket--so I tore into it--it would make a Swiss watchmaker proud!!! They are just a tad more complicated than one would think! But other than lightseals it is just not worth repairing---eBay and KEH are the place to go, but I have noticed the prices are climbing up slightly. Don't know if the supply is shrinking, or if the demand is going up.
    Seals, I do; the rest is like amateur dentistry, i.e., not smart. Price movements are puzzling. I got some NOS boxed KL lenses, Pro S backs and a Pro S body kit in spring 09 for peanuts--I mean cheap. While there is a bunch of nearly dead Pro kits and Pro S bodies+backs+finders, clean low mileage stuff does seem to be getting pricier--more from shortage than rampant demand. I'm surprised what friends have paid recently for RB67 kits in very rough shape--dumb or desperate isn't certain but rational people do make odd decisions after the MF bug bites.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just got some seals from Japan to redo one of my Pro-S backs which seemed to give me a light leak and certainly looks quite awful for foam though mechanically it is sound. Alcohol to remove the old foam is best?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Just got some seals from Japan to redo one of my Pro-S backs which seemed to give me a light leak and certainly looks quite awful for foam though mechanically it is sound. Alcohol to remove the old foam is best?
    Dude, you should have asked me first. I use thin adhesive back sheet foam from Michael's--like a buck for an 8x10 sheet...

Get a popsicle stick or any other small piece of wood and cut it into chisel shape. Make several. Use a QTip with some isopropyl to moisten the old foam. Carefully scrape it out--as much as you can. Let it dry and go back for more--remember you're removing both foam and adhesive. If you need an online anatomical photo of the RB back, I'll send a link. The really critical seals are at the hinge and clasp of the outer shell and the RB adapter surface that meets the back. The foam in that square channel surrounding the film gate is a critical light baffle. Let me know if you need any help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin