Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,738   Posts: 1,515,535   Online: 1076

Shooter
    35mm

Ensign Selfix 820 re-erected.

Having now reassembled my Selfix 820 thanks to information from members of this this forum (see previous thread), I thought I should show the result.

Making the missing pins proved to be quite a job - my old lathe is a bit sloppy for jobs this small - but I succeeded at the 5th and 6th attempts. I used mild steel and polished them. It now self-erects very well.

There were other problems. One of the plates which hold the door pivots, and the strut mountings and springs, had come adrift, and allowed the spring to damage the rear-most fold of the bellows. This looked like an ideal subject for 'Liquid Electrical Tape' applied outside and inside. The bellows looked otherwise very sound, but while checking the repair I found three other tiny light-leaks in the corners of the bellows, so I applied a coat of liquid tape down the inside of all 4 corners and the bellows now appear completely light-tight.

I stripped and cleaned the shutter and lens. There was quite a bit of fungus on the back of the rear-element, but it cleaned well and the optics look very nice.

I'll put some film through when I get a chance, but I don't currently have a scanner that will take medium format so it might be some time before I can properly check the results.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Looks a fine job,Steve, Ensigns are certainly very nice cameras and take lovely photographs, I have 3 of them, a selfix 12/20, 16/20 and a Commando, and I use them all regulerly, Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Steve - Great job in saving that camera from the photo graveyard! My Selfix 820 is in nice shape... after seeing all the work you put into getting yours going I don't have any excuse for not using mine. Please let us know how the photos look after you have a chance to run a roll through your camera.
    Adrian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks good.

Where do you get that liquid electrical tape from? I have a Speed Graphic bellows which may benefit from some.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the comments.

Steve, I bought the Liquid Tape from http://www.sotabeams.co.uk/liquidtape.htm - their price is as cheap as anyone, you can pay by PayPal, they post by return, and charge a penny less for post than it costs them!

Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin