Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,537   Posts: 1,572,749   Online: 780

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Straightening Mamiya TLR lens plate - Suggestions wanted . . .

Hi y'all,

I'm looking for the easy fix (don't we all?). I have a new (to me) 180mm Mamiya TLR Super lens with a bent lens plate "ear" (I'll call it an ear). Looks like the previous owner dropped it at some point in its life. Otherwise this lens is in great condition. The plate is easily removed. 5 small screws. Although the complete lens mounts on to the camera body via the wire hold-down, the lens is a bit wobbly against the camera body face. Negs from this lens show that there is no light leak or focus problems. I'd just like the plate to be flat and have no wobble.

My thought is to put the plate (without the lens) into a vice with a large flat piece of wood on the non rebate side and a smaller piece of wood on the inner (rebate) edge and give it a gentle squeeze.

Waddy ya think?

Thanks,

~Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had to recently repair my mamiya 80 lenses set (broken off synch socket after the screws vibrated loose and away)

The thing comes apart quite reasonably to leave you with just the plate and two lenses.

If the bend is at the top the shuttered lens may not have to come off.

Make careful note of the order any shims are installed in.

Work over a towel on a bench so any dropped parts don't bounce and launch themselves onto the floor.

Repairs go much faster without 15 minute searches for tiny screws.

Once there is enough to grab, I would suggest make a carved hardwook piece (I have used parts of wooden clothes pegs) to put against the lens board.
    Then bend or gently mallet with a hardwood dowel as the striker to bend or pound the lens board back until it is in line again.

Then re-asemble with care, and snug every thing up, and you are back in business.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    Make careful note of the order any shims are installed in.
    *Don't need no steenking shims, it's ART*

Work over a towel on a bench so any dropped parts don't bounce and launch themselves onto the floor.
    *No sense of adventure, EH?

Repairs go much faster without 15 minute searches for tiny screws.
    *Only 15 minutes? Wuss!*

Once there is enough to grab, I would suggest make a carved hardwook piece (I have used parts of wooden clothes pegs) to put against the lens board.
    Then bend or gently mallet with a hardwood dowel as the striker to bend or pound the lens board back until it is in line again.

Then re-asemble with care, and snug every thing up, and you are back in business.
    *The rest I pretty much go along with.*
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Mike & John,

Thanks for your encouragement.

Mike Wilde wrote:
    I had to recently repair my mamiya 80 lenses set (broken off synch socket after the screws vibrated loose and away) OUCH!

The thing comes apart quite reasonably to leave you with just the plate and two lenses. YUP. ONLY 5 SCREWS TO UNDO AND COME CLEANLY OFF. LENSES STAY TOGETHER.
    If the bend is at the top the shuttered lens may not have to come off. YUP

Make careful note of the order any shims are installed in. NONE THERE - COOL.

Work over a towel on a bench so any dropped parts don't bounce and launch themselves onto the floor. LIKE I'VE NEVER DONE THAT. OVER A SHAGGY CARPET. DOH!
    Repairs go much faster without 15 minute searches for tiny screws. ONLY 15 - DOH AGAIN.
    Then bend or gently mallet with a hardwood dowel as the striker to bend or pound the lens board back until it is in line again. HMMMM

Then re-asemble with care, and snug every thing up, and you are back in business. VERY COOL - THANKS.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin