Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,281   Online: 815

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Thankfully I can still drop off 35mm, 120 and 220 C41, B&W and E6 right in town here at Ponds Fotosource. They don't sell much film anymore strangely but I can order decent film myself. They make much more money on the processing I guess. I need to get back into developing and printing my own which I did years ago but for now I'll have to stick to 120 and 220 for this reason until I get the darkroom set up. And the old enlarger is just for 35mm so I'd need to shoot chromes for now or get an enlarger and lens for bigger negatives.

Edit: I really like square format, that is what I started with. Something 6x6 would be good but I'm not really picky at this point.

The prices for the Bronica SQ are attractive, looks like the Pentax 645 isn't too bad either. I will watch Henrys though they don't seem to have much in MF. I've bought smaller format stuff from them in the past.
    With the C$ close to par, it might be time to make a bulk buy from B&H. Know Pond's but wonder how much film goes thru the lab these days? Processing was what kept them afloat but now?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used to always also this question with YashicaMat TLR (a great camera, by all accounts). But now that prices have gotten so low, I've started saying a Bronica SQ-A with a 80mm lens and a waist level finder is a better entry point. It is easier to focus than any TLR for those of us with (slightly) dimming eyes and can be expanded as far as you might ever want to go. The main thing is that any step to MF, in my opinion, should include composing on ground glass. The world just looks more interesting there.
    "To a photographer the world consists of an infinite number of vantage points -- places to stand -- of which very few are altogether satisfactory." (John Szarkowski, Atget)

My flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The OP indeed has many camera choices. The Bronicas are pretty reasonably priced. The real issue now is developing. They are very lucky to have a lab that processes 120/220 film. I would suggest the OP gets the stuff needed to develop and scan film if they have problems with their lab or they have creative needs or volumes that can't be cost effectively met by their lab. for B&W developing, it should be <$100 for a changing bag, used paterson reels/tank and some chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Again, budget=????
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have to agree with CGW. First I love my rb67. It's the second one I've owned, and I absolutely love everything about the big beast. No, it's not the lightest out there, but at 58, I can still handle it just fine. Strictly a mechanical camera, so you don't worry about any batteries. The lenses have wonderful contrast, and are tack sharp. And due to the rack, and pinion focusing,and the built in bellows you can get to about 9 inches with out any extension tubes. Macro work with a 6x7 negative is amazing. I too have been lucky on ebay, I have found reliable dealers, and gotten great prices. There are some good prices on the cameras, and quite a few deals on the fine Sekor glass. The only thing that seems to remain on the high $$ side are the film backs. One other thing, the leaf shutter (in each lens) allows the easy use of fill flash for out door portraits. Take your time building you kit if you go RB. Start off with the camera, and prime lens. Usually a 127mm. I would also suggest the Mamiya grip, as it does make it easier to work with, but you can work without it. Good luck, and wellcome tothe MF world.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    With the C$ close to par, it might be time to make a bulk buy from B&H. Know Pond's but wonder how much film goes thru the lab these days? Processing was what kept them afloat but now?
    Wrong thread but: I was shopping at B&H and locally too, I want some 1600 Fujifilm but they're saying its discontinued, did I miss that? Did Fuji really discontinue Neopan 1600? I thought it was just being renamed Super Presto. Anyways, I don't see either Neopan 1600 or Press 1600 at B&W so I'll have to look elsewhere or stick to 400...

Where do Ponds get their money from these days? Digital prints... It is still more cost effective to have them print for you than doing it at home. They don't make much on developing of film but if you want poster sized prints, canvas, etc. then they do a great job. The big money was always in the prints.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    Buy what ever appeals to you! Personally I like a SLR with a viewfinder and a prism. Currently own Kiev 60's and Mamiya 645's. I love both but you need to be aware of the problems with used camera's. Light seals and interior flocking seem to go on a camera that has age on it. Then how about a CLA? I would buy from a dealer that will stand behind the equipment. Maybe he does not work on the stuff but you have the option of returning the camera or lens. I you are handy then this is not a problem! Reflocking and seals not that difficult. With some tools and manuals performing a CLA can be done! Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've recently picked up a Super Richoflex TLR and am please with the results produced. Worth a look as you are looking. Make sure the shutter release is working. Many sellers are clueless as to how to cock and release the shutter. Push the release one way to cock it and the opposit direction to release it. Pretty neat little cameras with decent optics. Bill Barber

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Wrong thread but: I was shopping at B&H and locally too, I want some 1600 Fujifilm but they're saying its discontinued, did I miss that? Did Fuji really discontinue Neopan 1600? I thought it was just being renamed Super Presto. Anyways, I don't see either Neopan 1600 or Press 1600 at B&W so I'll have to look elsewhere or stick to 400...

Where do Ponds get their money from these days? Digital prints... It is still more cost effective to have them print for you than doing it at home. They don't make much on developing of film but if you want poster sized prints, canvas, etc. then they do a great job. The big money was always in the prints.
    They made serious $ of 35mm dev/print longer than most, thanks to no Costco or Walmart in the area until recently. Check Silvano's in TO for film--a bit cheaper than other Canadian retailers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    They made serious $ of 35mm dev/print longer than most, thanks to no Costco or Walmart in the area until recently. Check Silvano's in TO for film--a bit cheaper than other Canadian retailers.
    They must still make some money off it though they only run C41 three times a week and the E6 gets sent out while I remember when I could get around one hour service there on E6 and C41... drop it off in the morning and pick up after lunch, was a very busy place then! Not so busy now. Still many of the same people work there, it's amazing about that keeping the same people. I just wish their hours were more convenient for me, I can't really get there much during the week, just on the weekends.

Silvano's doesn't have any Fujifilm over 400 ISO that I can see :-( My foray into the dark side has made me like high ISO for action shooting...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin