Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,937   Online: 941

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm a big fan of the folding camera. I've used a lot of them -- with and without rangefinders.

I like the Zeiss Ikon folding cameras, because they tend to have fewer problems. They came with either Nettar, Novar or Tessar lenses with the Tessar also being the premium optic.

The ones with the Nettar can be bought fairly inexpensively, while those with the Tessar will cost more.

Best of luck in your venture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Mike
    Thank you for the imput, I have learned that there are way more cameras out there with prices from afforable for me to way out there. The wife is out of town so I am going to hit some thrift shops and yard sales tomorrow. One thing I have is time to find a starter for me.
    David
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

Shooter
    Medium Format

Help with 1st MF camera as well please?

Hi guys, I am interested in buying my first MF camera as well and didn't want to start a new thread while this was still going.

My needs are slightly different than the original poster - and I'm having a little trouble finding a camera.

I apologize in advance because I've never used medium format before, it seems to be a whole different animal than 35.

The most important feature I'm after is a hotshoe. I have a wireless transmitter and flashes that I'd like to be able to use with this camera. If there's a cost effective alternative, I'm open to it.

Secondary is that I'm really interested in a TLR and 6x6 format. Those two things I can accept not having. Being able to use my flashes is my main interest.

Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    powermonkey:

Welcome to APUG.

It is probably best to start your own thread - I know we won't mind .

If you start with a title like "First MF Camera suggestions - with hotshoe" it will help.

I'd suggest a Mamiya 645E like this one:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...ens-290-a.html

(Barry can thank me later ). EDIT - I now see that it has been sold!

Alternatively, lots of MF cameras work well with handgrips. I have two (Mamiya 645 Super and Mamiya 645 Pro) where the handgrip has a hot shoe. I have three others (Mamiya C330, Mamiya C220 and Mamiya RB67) where the handgrip has a cold shoe and I can use a simple pc cord to hot shoe adapter on it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why "with hotshoe"?

It's not necessary.
    Many of the MF cameras that are worth considering don't have such a thingy.
    Because there's using flash and there's using flash.

So don't restrict your search like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll say it even though you'll think I'm crazy (oh wait, I am crazy): Graflex! The first mf I bought was a Graflex RB series b 6X9 (well, 2-1/4 by 3-1/4), and it works a treat. Got a couple rollfilm backs (graflex 23's), and i was shooting big negs thru a reflex camera with interchangeable backs for 250 bucks or so. Plusses: that Graflex 24 speed shutter allows great finetuning of the exposure. Lens (uncoated though it is) is sharp as hell. Built like a tank, repair info easy to come by if you need to. Easy to do multiple exposures. Minusses: no flash sync, no metering, you don't look cool holding a big-ass box with a hood sticking out the top, except in a steampunk sort of way. Great fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Why "with hotshoe"?

It's not necessary.
    Many of the MF cameras that are worth considering don't have such a thingy.
    Because there's using flash and there's using flash.

So don't restrict your search like that.
    I agree, who needs a hot shoe? Work the light instead: that way you get much more interesting pictures.

Although -initially- many of my 35mm cameras had hot shoes and fancy flashguns, nowadays I almost never use a flashgun, because pictures made by ambient light come out much better.

Both my MF cameras (Yashica 635 and Asahi Pentax 6x7 have accessory shoes (not "hot"), but I have as yet not even considered using a flash with either.

Learn to use the light: that is what it is all about!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see a decent Rapid Omega with lens just closed at $77.00 over on Ebay. These are the most underrated MF camera on the planet!

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just get a PC to hot shoe converter. Plugs into the PC on the camera & gives you a.........hotshoe.........Gesundheit!
    Around $10.00?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin