Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,065   Online: 733

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

New project arrived! Rolleiflex Automat...

Hi, all -

It's been too long since I've had a good TLR project, so I picked up another Rolleiflex to rehab. Seen here with its new Yashica-Mat brother, it's an Automat K4 (by serial):

The shutter needs to be cleaned and lubed (stuttering a little on the slow speeds) and the timer needs to be cleaned. The hood's off a K4A, and is missing the rear shade piece, but is serviceable. The screen's got to be aftermarket - it's the clearest, brightest screen I've seen! Which means I bought the RB67 screen and Polaroid (for mirror replacement) a little prematurely... The glass is in good shape, and the camera appears to be sound structurally. I think, once the shutter work's done and the camera proves its worth, a new leather skin from Morgan is in order.

I cannot wait to be elbows-deep in Rollei guts again!

Scott

Shooter
    35mm
    Very nice, my Automat is a hand me down from my father it is from 1937, bayonet filters on the taking lens and push on filters on the viewing lens. The lens and shutter are fine, it seems to like shooting Rollie Retro 100 (APX100) developed in Rodinal, the old Tessar have turns out some fine negatives.
    As for the reaction to changing the body cloth, I have never understood why folk get wound up by custom cameras, guns, cars or whatever. Each to their own I guess.
    Regards.

Keith Hudson

My film set on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/zx9/set...7603300220450/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, as far as leather goes, Keith, it's aesthetic and functional at the same time: The current leather is shredded and tattered in places, so new would definitely improve the look and feel of the camera. However, in about seven years of working on Rollei and Yashica TLRs, I've yet to have one where the old, dried skin came off in usable pieces. Yashicas tend to potato chip as the plastic skin comes off; Rollei leather is so dry and torn by the time I get it that it disintegrates when removing it to work on the shutter. Replacing it then becomes necessary. YMMV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't mean to hijack you thread, but since you seem to know a great deal about restoring TLR's I ask you a question.

On my belowed Rolleiflex from 1955 (probably also with the clearest, brightest screen you've ever seen) the leather starts to get loose in the corners. How can I attach it again? Is there any special glue? Or can I use just normal super glue?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    DON'T use Super Glue. For a permanent fix, most people recommend Pliobond contact adhesive, but for something more reversible, should the covering ever need to come off and you want any hope of retaining it, use plain ol' Elmer's white glue. Put a small dab under the corner, let it sit 30 seconds or so to tack up, then press down the leather.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Okay, found a glitch - the camera focuses short of infinity. Checked through both the viewing and taking lenses. I've adjusted focus on viewing lenses before, but never on taking lenses. Have feelers out on this, but in the meantime, anyone know how to adjust the taking lens?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bliorg View Post
    Okay, found a glitch - the camera focuses short of infinity. Checked through both the viewing and taking lenses. I've adjusted focus on viewing lenses before, but never on taking lenses. Have feelers out on this, but in the meantime, anyone know how to adjust the taking lens?
    I've done this. There is a slotted nut inside the focusing knob you can adjust. The way I did it is I took the back off the camera and placed a piece of slide mount glass in the film plane. The glass had a piece of frosted cellophane tape with an x drawn on it with a fine point pen. The slotted nut was temporarily loosened and retightened so the camera focused beyond infinity. The you set up another camera known to be accurate at infinity facing the Rollei. It's easier and more accurate if that camera has a telephoto lens. I used a Nikon F with a 300mm. Make sure that camera is locked at infinity. You then focus the Rollei so the X mark is sharp in the other camera. Keeping the knob from turning you then loosen and retighten the slotted nut against the infinity stop.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quick update: I adjusted infinity focus a few times, but was having problems focusing regardless. Finally realized that the front shroud was keeping the standard from coming all the way in; at some point along the way, the shim washers were lost. Improvised some new ones, checked focus with a ground glass, and buttoned it back up. Loaded a roll of SFX200, which is now drying. Preliminarily, the negatives look sharp. So, I'm optimistic about this Xenar.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Could I sidetrack and ask about the polaroid for the mirror replacement. I've got a Mamiya C220 with a somewhat cloudy mirror that I wouldn't mind getting sorted. I also have a cheap late model polaroid.

Edit - Ripped apart the polaroid and have a clear mirror. Then when i actually took apart the C220 enough to get to the mirror, found it was actually just cigarette tar, same as I'd cleaned off the rest of the camera. Filthy habit, all cleaned now and much easier to focus.
    Last edited by Wishy; 10-23-2010 at 07:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin