Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,468   Online: 883

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would also recommend getting a 4x5 enlarger for the possiblity for future growth. It would be a good investment.
    Use your original enlarger for 35mm and the 4x5 for MF & LF.
    gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're going to love medium format!! What's been said above is completely accurate and reliable. I more than second the advice Konical has offered. I too originally progressed to medium format from 35mm and bought a Beseler 23CXLIII which has been an excellent piece of equipment. BUT....the large format bug infected me as I kinda suspected it ultimately would and I've succumbed to an LPL5400 4x5 machine. So.....I think you should consider purchasing the largest format enlarger for which you have the funds and the space. You'll be delighted in the end!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi Niall, I love the DeVere 504 with the Multigrade head. Enlargers though are like everything else though its good to try before u buy, which is very difficult in Ireland. I suggest you rent a few sessions in the Gallery of Photography in Temple Bar as they have several different ones.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for that Fintan, excellent idea. Just won a cheap and cheerful Yashica TLR on ebay so now I just have to get a bigger spool for my neg tank and then I'm set!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Gallery of Photography have all film dev equipment also, its quiet during the summer. Have fun

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Let me add my vote for getting a 4x5 enlarger.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Bigger is Good

Mostly for rigidity, even if you never use 4x5. I'm fond of my Durst 670 Color, but at the same time it wiggles ominously every time I use it (Doesn't seem to be a good way to bolt it to the wall -- maybe with a side bracket aross the top of the post...)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an old Durst M800, maximum size of film 6,5 x 9 cm, a great enlarger, heavy and very stable, with a Rodenstock Rodagon 80mm lens. Not very expensive these days in second hand. If you want more possibilities for the future, a 4x5" enlarger may be a better choice. The Ahel 12 is an affordable 4x5 enlarger too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having got my Meopta Opemus working as I want it I'd recommend one of these. You can work with 35mm and MF formats, it swivels to project onto the floor or wall. Also it's almost tractor technology so even a technical idiot like myself was able to give it a complete strip-down and rebuild over about 24 hours. I picked up mine at a cost of £12.00 (subtracting all the other darkroom bits I got) plus another £16.00 for a modern transformer.
    Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have no intention of shooting large format then you cant go far wrong with the Opemus Magnafax 4. It goes up to 6X9. Built like a brick outhouse with a truly impressive negative carrier. If you use VC papers the meograde head is a very useful addition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin