Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,224   Online: 824

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

SF/MF, What Enlarger?

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a TLR camera to experiment with MF. Unfortunately my Durst B30 enlarger is 35mm only, unless it undergoes surgery! Any reccomendations on what would be a good second hand enlarger to get for both formats and which won't break the bank! I presume I'd need two enlarger lenses as well.
    Cheers!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    From experience I can vouch for the Meopta Opemus series of enlargers. These usually come with glass carriers and have masking strips in the neg holder. Ideally you'd want 2 lenses, an 80mm and 50mm, you can get away with an 80mm for smaller enlargements from 35mm if you can only stretch to the one lens.
    I also have a LPL C6700 which will do 35mm to 6X7, this is less agriculteral than the opemus and smoother in use, but cost me twice as much.

One caveat with the Opemus is that some earlier models had a smaller that usual thread, and new lens mounts for these aren't easy to come by, spares for the later models, however, are available, at least in the UK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    In the past I have used and do own the Omega C760XL. I would sell mine since I haven't used it in years. IM me if you are interested.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My Paterson PCS 2500 (Philips PCS 130) is still available. Info here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8081

Images
    Good Morning, Niallman,

Unless space is a prime consideration, it's probably worth going directly to a 4 x 5 enlarger. Like lots of other darkroom equipment, they're selling for bargain prices on E-Bay right now, often very little more than for MF models. Since 4 x 5 enlargers are bulky, heavy, and a pain to ship, it's probably a good idea to look for one which you can pick up in person.

If you're thinking of MF now, LF may be just around the corner. A 4 x 5 model will probably meet all future needs; a MF may not.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome to medium format photography. If you have the space to work with, bigger is better. For a small guerilla darkroom, where space matters, the Durst M605 would be an ideal choice, as it'll do a 6x7 neg. You'll have a choice of either the model with a variocontrast or the one with a traditional condenser head that uses a less expensive opal bulb.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks all for your helpful advice. I've a good list to start with!
    - Niall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi there niallman ...

i agree with konical, and would go right for a 4x5 enlarger, even thought you aren't there yet.

you can get d2, d3's pretty cheap, and down the road you will have no problems if/when you decide to get a larger format camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Niallman
    what would be a good second hand enlarger to get for both formats and which won't break the bank! I presume I'd need two enlarger lenses as well.
    Cheers!
    As your in Europe your first choice should be a Durst anything from a 601 upwards preferably someting like a 670, there's plenty secondhand. Other than Durst - a Meopta or an LPL.

Make sure it has a colour head as this gives a nice soft light source for B&W as well alllowing you to use the colour filters for multi contrast papers. Additionally you can do colour !

You will need two lenses a 50mm and an 80mm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I hadn't noticed that you were in Dublin. It's definitely not worth the shipping cost from the U.S. Better to buy locally and put the money into the lenses. That said, if you can find a Philips enlarger like the one I have for sale with all the accessories included (because otherwise accessories will be hard to find for Philips), it's a fine enlarger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin