Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,799   Online: 677

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya double cable release - Random operation

Do others find the Mamiya double cable release to be unpredictable in operation?

Works fine on some lenses, fires mirror and shutter simultaneously on others, won't fire either despite degree of pressure sometimes.

A further question: I've just received a KL lens and the "Mirror Up" control on the lens doesn't appear to require turning of the cable release socket as on C lenses, but moves out as the cable release is screwed in to reveal a red ring. As this puts the camera (RB 67 Pro S) into mirror up mode I'm working it correctly?

It's also fussy about the double release.

I'm happy to use a single release, but it's nice when things WORK.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some lenses have a control to turn, others automatically go into MLU mode when you attach the cable release.

I wouldn't personally use the double release (as I would have to buy one first!). It's easy enough to press the shutter release on the body to move the mirror up then use a normal release cable for the shutter.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't have the double release cable with me now, so I will write this from memory. My head is getting worse and worse, so take it with a bit of care

The end that threads into the body has a kind of adjustment: you could loose a second threaded part and tighten it again leaving a longer or shorter tip. Effectively, what you are doing is increasing or decreasing the time difference between the moment the body mirror is "released" and the lens shutter is released. The longer the body tip is, the bigger time separation.

This explanation has nothing to be with your problem, but just in case

Cheers
    Alfonso

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Steve, Alfonso,

I spent a while at the business end which does have a threaded shaft allowing adjustment of the conical part that screws into the camera release. It helped with some lenses, not others. The moulded part which one holds seems to have some adjustment too, after loosening the small lock screws you can turn the chrome rod and this has a tiny effect. I think I'll just stick to a single release on the lens, the unpredictability of the double release is annoying.

Regards - Ross

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin