Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,849   Online: 893

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Sandy, the "guys in the roof" (detail) image was shot handheld at 1/100. The last two shown above were shot on a tripod, using a shutter release cable. (But 1/2 - 1/5 shutter speeds this time...) All at F16 - F22.

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +To me the samples here look bitingly sharp.

One should not go overboard with crops, that is looked upon at close range (screen).

Keep in mind a few simple facts : 1 meter and above enlargements are expected and designed to be looked upon at a WALL.

also looking at a picture, you dont see the performance of the LENS, you see the performance of a system :

Film, focus, lens, scanner/enlarging lens, limits from screen or photograpic paper, just to mention the obvious.

Each element in this equation contributes to the overall performance.

Film performance is usually overrated from the manufacturer, stating what can be achieved in a lab, under perfect conditioons, perfect development and perfect exposure. Normal perfoirmance is from 40 lpm to about 80, while the manufacturer quotes double of that.

The equation is for a simple system something like this, (lens, film, enlarger) :

1/100 + 1/60 + 1/100 = 6/600 + 10/600 + 6/600 = 22/600 = 2,2/60 or approximately 1/30

The lens performs flawlessly at 1/100, the systems yelds 1/30, which is good.

Similar calculation can be done for any system, and can be likened to serial connected resistance in a electrical cirquit. Think of it as total resistance of image quality.

I think you originally trapped yopurself into too high expectations and have now sobered up, this is a nice camera, and if you're disappointed I will take it off your hands in a second and be happy!

Erik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Erik,

Your camera is generally considered a very good one, so even fully open you should get sharp pictures when well focused. So, try landscapes : with everything far away, with distance set on infinity, you cannot have DOF issues. So if the pictures are unsharp, some mechanical adjustment may be wrong.

here I wrote a paper on "adjusting and using folders" (however in french), this could help ?

Paul

Oops, there are two Eriks here, this post was meant for Erik Petersson
    Last edited by polka; 10-27-2010 at 07:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love small folders, and I have a thing for ones from the late 20's and 30's and also post war. One thing I love about these cameras is that they can deliver great results, but in the end while they have a bunch of settings on them they are still point and shoot cameras and should be regarded as such. I'm not saying you can't get fine art or lovely portraits out of these cameras, the photos I have on display that I took of my children were taken with a Kodak Brownie Autographic #2 folding camera, I'm just saying that you can never be 100% sure of the results you will get.

Like Erik above, I would be happy to provide a good home for this camera as well.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The camera has a good home already!...

BTW, I just ordered a 37mm standard metal lens hood. Maybe I will have problems mounting it to the non-standard front thread, I don't know - it was cheap enough...

- What is the exact size of the lens filter / hood thread of the Bessa folders?
    - What are the good sources for Bessa lens hoods?

TIA,
    Loris.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polka View Post
    Erik,

Your camera is generally considered a very good one, so even fully open you should get sharp pictures when well focused. So, try landscapes : with everything far away, with distance set on infinity, you cannot have DOF issues. So if the pictures are unsharp, some mechanical adjustment may be wrong.

here I wrote a paper on "adjusting and using folders" (however in french), this could help ?

Paul

Oops, there are two Eriks here, this post was meant for Erik Petersson
    Thanks Paul!
    I will put your text through a digital translation tool. Often the result can be rather understandable!

I would be very happy if I managed to achieve such sharpness as some have shown here. My E-messer has the simpler version of the lens. Will post more information later today, when I have the camera and some scans at hand.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    So, this is an example of what I have achieved. I am afraid that it does not match your results. Maybe this is because I took this photo on f4 and handheld. Well well.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1066/...6de95d58_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1402/...b11e66ba_b.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is just a tiny handshake, Erik, its impossible to discuss lens sharpness unless you bolt down the camera!

Still its a nice sharp picture, thanx to the big negative!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I usually find no time to fasten the camera. I wish it was easier to handhold my E-messer!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin