Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,705   Online: 897

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought it over the bay. but the seller is located in the Netherlands. I think i have to work something out.

So, if its "only" the prerelease, what cold be the reason for this problem ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The thing i mentioned before: either the camera's key angle needs to be adjusted, or the thing in the lens is out of proper alignment.
    Without another lens to check, both camera and lens have to be checked. Though i don't know how much that costs, i know it will be quite a bit. Very often a repair is as expensive as, or even more expensive than another used body or lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe QG's correct that the rear shutter and lens shutter are out of time. The lens shutter should be completely closed before the rear shutter opens.
    The sequence is:1)release button pressed, 2)lens shutter closes, 3)rear shutter opens and lens shutter makes exposure, 4)rear curtain closes when shutter button is released.
    What you are not seeing, but should, is the shutter closing before it releases.
    You can test the lens by removing it from the camera and releasing it. The release is a small pin in a semi circular tube next to the cocking axle. just press it sideways not inward. You should see actions 2&3 above.
    If I remember correctly, the timing for this is controlled by the gear in the shutter but it has been far too long since I've worked on these. I think that if it was the cocking shaft that you wouldn't be able to mount the lens without damage.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    [...] What you are not seeing, but should, is the shutter closing before it releases.
    Not when looking through the rear.
    In fact, if you do, you know for sure that something is wrong.

You can test the lens by removing it from the camera and releasing it. The release is a small pin in a semi circular tube next to the cocking axle. just press it sideways not inward.
    Sometimes you need to help the shutter a bit more, starting it by 'manipulating'/prodding the slotted axle. (But never rotate the thing more that a fraction of a degree. Just prod.)

You will of course ony see the second part of you number 3.

If I remember correctly, the timing for this is controlled by the gear in the shutter but it has been far too long since I've worked on these. I think that if it was the cocking shaft that you wouldn't be able to mount the lens without damage.
    Nope.
    The camera controls the timing of the release cycle (the only timing it does not is that of how long the shutter in the lens opens). Which you can tell when you release the shutter with the lens off the camera: everything happens at once.
    The axle is not just a cocking shaft. It is the control mechanism that synchronizes camera and lens.
    You can mount a lens without damage because there is that little catch you mentioned above that will keep the axle from rotating, and because camera and lens must be/are 'synchronized' when you do. No problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmflKM6Fb2E (f/2.8 so aperture is not visible)

I tried to fire the lens "manually". I just hat to push the release pin to the side. But again i couldn't see the shutter close, open and close again. It just closes once after the exposure time is over and stays closed then.

But i have read that you normally shouldnt try to "fire" the lens this way..

So i guess the problem is the lense
    Last edited by loki; 10-20-2010 at 09:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is no problem firing a lens this way. No worries.
    As long as you don't wind the lens the wrong direction.

Yes, the video shows a problem with the shutter, and the prerelease thing will be because of the lens too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The seller offers me compensation or repair refund so i think i get the estimated repair cost and have it repaired.

I guess that this behavior will lead to exposure problems eaven in "normal" mode. The shorter the exposure time the bigger the problem.

for the lens "firing" i just remeber this statment i found on youtube (might be true or not)

qwilco:
    This is DESTRUCTIVE for your lens. The pin is not a release button, but a Holding-Lever. When on a camera, this pin is pushed away after the tension of the cocking ax of the lens is taken over by the ax of the camera. The pin called Latch 065 turns on a tiny brass srew, which get loose or brake when used as a release button. Wilco Jansen 40 year experience in Hasselblad repair in the Netherlands.
    -> Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHD1qOXSxQw

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's grossly overstating things.

The camera pushes the pin out of the way every time a lens is mounted on it. That tiny brass screw doesn't seem to mind that.
    The full tension is on that tiny little catch and that tiny little screw any time a lens is not on a camera. If that would be bad, DESTRUCTIVE even, many people would need to have their lenses fixed awfully often.

But yes, what the camera then also does is keep the axle from rotating by the key in the lens mount. There's nothing stopping that happening when you push the pin yourself. So the axle spins freely. Not something to worry about.
    When you do push the pin and release the axle, the pin will be just out of the way when that thing starts to spin. Now you could say that this means that there is a danger that it will rub and break. But on the other hand, if it hadn't gone out of the way far enough, the axle would still be held by it.

So no worries. Really not.
    And besides: how often are you planning to do this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin