Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,627   Online: 1161

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hasselblad 503 CXi Pre Release Problem

I have a problem with my 503CXi. When i press the pre - release the shutter does not close. I made a short vid. http://www.sutev.at/hasselblad/Hasselblad.3gp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqIRLjlG7tk
    Is there anything i could do about that ? Is this a Lens or a Body Problem ?

Last edited by loki; 10-19-2010 at 12:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Could you change the format of the video to something more common, or/and upload it to YouTube perhaps?

Not having seen the video, i think it is still safe to say that either body or lens, or both need to be serviced or repaired. Simply because it's behaviour that should not occur.

Yet, maybe you have set a CF/CFi/CFE lens to F-mode?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lens is not set To F-mode
    video is now on youtube 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqIRLjlG7tk

I bought this cam recently on the bay. So should I send it back or would it be affordable to send it to a service ?
    Last edited by loki; 10-19-2010 at 01:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Seen it now, thanks.

Could be either the body or the lens.

The thing this works is that the key in the body's lens mount rotates for a set number of degrees and then stops.
    That key is connected to the shutter by an axle, the slotted end of which you see when you take the lens off.
    The shutter is set to go "all the way" with the key controlling how far it actually can go for each step in the release cycle.

What happens in your camera is that the process is halted just before the shutter and aperture get to the point that they close.
    So either the camera's key angle is not right and needs adjusting. Or the lens itself (or rather the connecting axle in it) is just out of proper alignment and needs readjusting. You can test which if you have another lens and see how it works with that.

It's not a major repair, but requires that the camera's chassis, bearing all the working bits, comes out of the shell, and a fair deal of know-how, or else more terrible things can happen when the chassis is out of the shell. So a job for a qualified repair person.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only have this lens. Does this mean that the shutter also doesnt work in Normal Mode or only in the Pre release mode ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It probably will work (though i can't be sure) in normal mode.

You can test (sort of) by firing the shutter while looking through the rear, and see what happens, in what sequence. The important bit is that you don't see the shutter and aperture close and then go open and shut again. The thingies in the lens need to be closed when the rear shutter doors open.
    So if you only see the shutter open and close, with the aperture closed as far as it should be (test at 1 second with the aperture set to f/22), things may be o.k.

But it's hard to see what really happens while the rear doors are opening. If that opening happens while the shutter in the lens and aperture are still closing, you're in trouble...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When i test it at 1s with f/22. I can see the aperture close (befor or at least in the same moment as the rear doors are opening/which happens quite fast) and after 1s the shutter closes.

One thing i might add in the vid i used f/2,8 so the aperture was not visible .. if i would use f/22 and pre-release mode the rear door would open and the aperture would close ( to 22 ) and it would stay like that until i press the "normal" release button.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you see the aperture close, the film will also. That's not good. Not good at all.

The aperture should be at the position set, the shutter should be closed, (a fraction of a second) before the rear doors begin to open. Both when using prerelease and when pressing the shutter button 'normally'.

So i'm afraid you will have to have this seen to and put right again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well i dont really see the aperture close . i see that it has closed to the set position (e.g. f/22) (but i dont see it actually closing/moving).
    But i cant say if the shutter is closing befor the rear door opens. I think i might have seen something but it must been really fast then.

well i made a quick vid again. maybee that helps.

only youtube this time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeQxDM6iAcc

So, should i send it back ? what would repair cost ? ..

BTW thanks for the info/help
    Last edited by loki; 10-19-2010 at 02:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hard to tell, but still: from your last video, i'd say that it works o.k. like that.

I understand correctly that you just bought this camera? If so, i would certainly return it, or have the seller fix it at his expense.
    Even if it works o.k. without prerelease, there still is that prerelease problem.

I don't know how myuch fixing it would cost. For that, talking to a repair person, explaining what's wrong, and seeing if they use fixed fees, and if so what they are, would be the thing to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin