Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,416   Online: 839

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

MF lenses on 35mm bodies???

If I use a Mamiya M645 lens on my Nikon 35mm body with and adapter, how do I figure to focal length?

A 150mm M645 lens is what when placed on the 35mm body? The focal length is longer than my 35mm, 150mm lens.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    35mm
    Why would the focal length of the lens change when you put it on a different camera? If it's a 150mm lens, it's a 150mm lens.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yep, the field of view changes, not the focal length.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well a 645 lens is times .6 is approximately the 35mm equiv. When I put the 645 format 150mm lens on the 35mm nikon body it is longer than the 35mm, 150mm lense.
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No, a small format 150 and an MF 150 are equally "long" on the 35mm body. When you put the MF 150 on there, you simply throw away all the image circle outside the 35mm frame. Nothing magical happens to the focal length.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As others have posted, the focal length doesn't change, but the field of view does.

I expect though that what you are asking is different from what you want to find out. I expect that you are really trying to determine something about equivalencies. Guess what - you will find that a 150mm lens for 6x4.5 is equivalent to ... a 150mm lens for 35mm.

You can work it out as follows (this is a very rough calculation).

It may be easiest to look at angles of view. The 150mm lens has a 26 degree angle of view on 6x4.5 film. The diagonal of 6x4.5 is about 75mm.

The 35mm frame has a diagonal of about 43mm.

So of those 26 degrees covered by the 150mm lens, about 43/75 x 26 = 15 degrees are captured by the 35mm frame.

What lens for 35mm format covers about 15 degrees? A 180mm lens covers 14 degrees, so that is close. A 150mm lens would be even closer .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have have had that adapter for my m645 to Nikon for years but never used it very much. I forget even how the exposure works with it. If the center of the field is used would the image be a bit sharper? IDK.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Curt, theoretically yes. Since the 35mm image uses only the center of the 645 lens its taking the sharpest part of the lens. BUT....many will argue that MF lenses (most) are not built to be as sharp as some 35mm lenses because they dont need to be enlarged so much....so it kinda cancels itself out. NOW, if you find a way to mount a mamiya 7 65 or 80mm lens on a 35mm body you will have one hell of a sharp image. but the counter argument is just get a zeiss or leica 35mm lens and itll be just as sharp.

Bodies: 1DIII, RZ ProII, Walker Titan 45
    Other: CanoScan 8800F

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Matt, I think you have answered my question. The angle of the view is what I guess is different.
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    If I use a Mamiya M645 lens on my Nikon 35mm body with and adapter, how do I figure to focal length?

A 150mm M645 lens is what when placed on the 35mm body? The focal length is longer than my 35mm, 150mm lens.
    If you read the lens focal length that is on the front of the lens (near the glass, written in a semicircular pattern) when it is on the Nikon, you will have your answer.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin