Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,983   Online: 1178

Shooter
    35mm

Best Rollei lens for B&W landscapes

What's the best Rollei lens for B&W landscapes? I know that the planars and xenotars are legendary, but considering that most of what I'm planning to do will likely be stopped down to f8 or f11, is it worth the money over the tessars and xenars?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Condition is more the concern than the lens. Tessars and Xenars are great lenses especially stopped to 8 or 11. Newer cameras are more likely in better condition. But if you find an old Automat with a Tessar or Xenar in good condition it will be just as good as a newer camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO, the best bang for the buck out there is the Xenotar 3.5. They are expensive, but are half the price of the Planars, and just as good IMO, especially at f stops like f/8 and f/11. 3.5Fs with the Xenotar can be had frequently for under $500, and that is for a very clean one. If you can swing that much, I might suggest splurging. However, if yo are on more of a budget, any one that has been properly cared for, on a camera that has been serviced for proper focus, and that wears a proper lens hood should work just fine for what you want.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As said above, condition is everything. At f8 or f11 things start to even out - it's at wide or near wide open that you can see the character of the different lenses. I'd go for a Xenar or Tessar in good condition, rather than the more expensive options.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like my Planar f/2.8
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I LOVE my 3.5 Tessar ! The bokeh is very nice, and sharpness when closed down is amazing ! I'd like it to be faster sometimes, but Delta 3200 works fine with it.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin