Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,105   Online: 871

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm honestly hoping that it's me - and not the camera. I will happily admit that this film back is REALLY hard to load. My Bronica is soooo easy compared the 12 back on the Hasselblad. Hoping this next roll comes out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    I'm honestly hoping that it's me - and not the camera. I will happily admit that this film back is REALLY hard to load. My Bronica is soooo easy compared the 12 back on the Hasselblad. Hoping this next roll comes out.
    I know you said you didn't load it backwards, but wasn't sure if that meant correct side or upside down. Make sure you don't load the film upside down on the correct side. For reference the black side of the backing paper or side with no writing should face towards the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the 12 back (non A) you have to look through a peephole on the rear of the back to line up the film correctly. You have to read the paper side of the film and line up the 1 in the hole to align the film start. If I had loaded it backwards, I would have been looking at the black side of the film, and wouldn't have seen any numbers on the paper. That's the only reason I'm thinking I loaded it properly. Also, the take up spool has the mechanism that tightens it, and the fresh side has nothing.

I am giving it another go, though. Will let everyone know if it works or not! HOPE SO!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i have the same old 12-back, so indeed, if you see "1" appear, you know the film's loaded correctly.

did you try firing the camera as i described here?

maarten.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd use some of the old TX to test. Unless it's been kept on top of the potbelly stove you will get an image.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are correct about seeing the numbers as and indication the film is loaded correctly.
    On the lens, unless you have the depth of field preview lever triggered you won't see the aperture change, untill the shutter is tripped.
    It sounds like the shutter may not be opening. What happens when you follow Maarten's test procedure.
    The manual for the camera, and lots of other information is available here; http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Maarten, I did that as you described and as far as I could tell - it's working properly. The only thing I can think of is user error in loading the film (or that's what I'm hoping). I shot another roll tonight and will develop tomorrow. It did something different today, though. It ACTUALLY stopped winding after the 12th shot. It had not done that before. SO, I am hoping that this third time was the charm, and that I in fact, actually finally loaded the film correctly. I seriously cannot think of another reason for blank negatives. It HAD to be not advancing properly or something. If this roll doesn't come out - I am taking the camera in for service.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How about that dark slide? Are you sure you took it out?

"A" backs require the slide to be drawn at least half way out before they unblock the shutter release, but the old(est) backs only require a few mm.
    (Which is probably why you noticed that the camera would both release and not release with the slide in: when it did, the slide will not have been pushed in completely.)
    So assuming that the slide is out, because the camera will release is not enough. The camera releasing once with the thing in was not a one-of glitch. Check and double check.

The thing with the back stopping after frame 12 is something else. It should always do so, even without film in it. Totally unconnected. So that it does is not a sign that you did something different loading the film.
    It is a sign, though, that the thing needs to be serviced. (And when you have it serviced, have the other bits looked at too.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To my opinion, the test suggested by Marteen might not definitely prove that the body+lens is working properly, because a lot of things have to happen in correct sequence with the body and the lens, and maybe they happen OK with 1sec or B and not at the higher speeds.

So, you should do the tests at higher speeds (the actual speeds you used for shooting) : while looking through the body+lens from the back (film magazine removed) camera directed toward light, and when firing, you should observe a "flash" of the lens opened at the preselected f/stop. This would really prove that the light goes through the camera to the film at all speeds.

Paul
    Last edited by polka; 10-24-2010 at 11:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    of course, paul, that would be the next step: doing the same at ALL time-settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    It ACTUALLY stopped winding after the 12th shot
    of course, it should!
    once you reached the 12th frame, you can't fire the cam anymore. it blocks!
    even without film in the back, you can't fire after the counter hits "12"

when you loaded the 12-back, you checked wether the "1" appeared in the peephole.
    did you check if it advances after each exposure? e.g. number 2, 3, ...
    it might not align perfectly in the peephole, but you should see the paperback move as you wind.
    you do take the whole darkslide out? i hope you do

maarten.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin