Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,845   Online: 864

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mamiya RB67 questions!

Hi all, a few questions regarding the Mamiya RB67. I've been using a mamiya C330s and have been extremely happy with it. I'd like the option of being able to swap films mid-roll though. So now I would like a 6x6cm rollfilm camera with interchangeable backs to replace it. Does the RB67 allow 6x6cm backs? If so, how do people find using it for square format? The other option was a bronica. It might be nice to have a camera that allows two formats. However, maybe I should just limit myself to a less bulky 6x6 camera which doesn't give me the option of shooting anything other than square. Already juggling too many format view cameras at the moment really. Almost ruling out a hassy because of the cost. Cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The RB67 is 6x7 cm. There are several backs, the standard 6x7, the 6x4.5, and an automated back allowing 6x8 cm. You could just crop the 6x7 in the darkroom if you really wanted. I do occasionally, but like the option. It has rotating back, thus eliminating the need to rotate the camera. It is a very versatile camera. It is big, and requires muscles to use off tripod. I used it both in the studio, and the field. I love it.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you want 6x6 with swappable backs, look at the Bronica SQ system. I have a minimalist Bronica SQ-B and love it. Never saw the point of getting a Mamiya RB/RZ and shooting anything smaller than 6x7.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    oh ok thanks... but definitely no 6x6 back?

brl

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Take a look at www.araxfoto.com - very inexpensive 2.8 Zeiss glass available for these cameras (search Pentacon six)
    RB67, Kiev 60, FM2, Holga mod & stereo
    Tri-X

Images
    With the Bronica SQ line of cameras, you can also get a 4.5x6 back, a 35mm back and a 35mmW (wide) back in addition to the 6x6 back. So you do have an option of formats.

JJB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You could always get another 330. Not that big of a difference $ wise.

What kind of shooting do you do? The RB is a brick with glass strapped to one end and film on the other. I was shooting some water shots this week, gets me to thinking about a lighter camera...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    JJB, that was an option. However, adding another couple of C330s to the arsenal would be like dragging round a sack of bricks! Ideally I'd like to have 3-4 interchangeable backs to allow for push+pull processing and infrared film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Last time I saw a 6x6 back on ebay, it was for the rz. It's been a long time since I saw an rb 6x6 back, they simply weren't popular.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think there is an option for a 6x6 back on an RB. I've been thinking about the same idea and I believe that with the P-adapter coupled with an M-adapter (vertical or horizontal) you could then attach one of those S-shaped multi-format film backs (6x4.5, 6x6 & 6x7) (6x4.5, 6x6 & 6x9) originally intended for the Mamiya Press cameras. With these backs, make sure they have the thin metal masks for 6x4.5 and 6x6. I'm at the point where I have everything but one of these multi-format backs. I even have the 6x4.5 & 6x6 masks, although, I doubt I'll use the 6x4.5 format. I'll keep you updated with my findings.

Marc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin