Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,117   Online: 1129

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fujifilm plans second medium format film camera

This is a FYI. Today I found this story and wanted to pass it on to APUG.

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...at-film-camera

Fujifilm plans second medium format film camera

Fujifilm has quietly unveiled plans to release a second medium format film camera following on the success of the GF670. The new camera - the GF670W - will sport a wide-angle lens

Author: Olivier Laurent

24 Sep 2010 Tags: FujifilmFilmPhotokina
    Two years ago, Fujifilm introduced the GF670 portable folding bellows film camera, jointly developed with Cosina. The camera's most unusual feature was its mechanism for switching between two different film formats - 6x7cm and 6x6cm. It was also fitted with a Fujinon EBC 80mm f/3.5 fixed focal length lens.

While the camera was first released in Japan, its instant success has forced Fujifilm to release it in the rest of the world - and now, it is planning to release a second version of the camera, this time with a 55mm lens.

The Fujifilm GF670W has been developed following "numerous requests for the production of a series of medium-format wide-angle cameras," says Fujifilm. The GF670W Professional has been designed for professional and high-end amateur landscape photographers, says the firm, and allows for the use of both 120 and 220 films.

It features a rangefinder, an aperture-priority AE mode, as well as manual exposure modes. Its 55mm lens is composed of 10 elements in eight groups, while its electronically controlled lens shutter has a speed of up to 1/500s.

The GF670W will be available in 2011. Pricing has yet to be determined.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Silly question: why are they releasing a new film camera while discontinuing film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Silly question: why are they releasing a new film camera while discontinuing film?

my guess would be they can make more money from selling film cameras than selling film. If their film sales are in decline, maybe they're better off financially making only cameras while Ilford and Kodak (and the smaller film manufacturers) make the film
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LOL, they better start making substitute for the 120 Neopans that this discontinued.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wonder why some of these manufacturers can not come up with an updated Conterex or Conterflex lens systems in lieu of the multiple camera fixed lens systems. Id bet they could sell many more and the profit margins would be higher. Zeiss showed the systems with replaceable elements could be just as good as a lens system whereby the entire lens is replaced or fixed lens systems. At the prices these foxed lens cameras go for I'm not sure even most professionals who can write off the equipment costs could make a case for more than one of these cameras or the person has a couple of Rolls Royces parked in their 54 car garrage.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was told it will be a 55mm lens by my favourite dealer a few weeks back. I'd buy one. The GF670 is a great camera but i just wish it was wider!

Fuji are discontinuing low sales films, that does not mean that they are not selling other films in vast quantity (e.g. Velvia)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    @andrewkirby

The GF670 is a great camera, I only wish it was longer. A 120-150mm lens would be a bit harder to manage on a folder, but would be a perfect walkabout portrait camera!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin