Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,928   Online: 994

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Is medium format feasible for photographing children?

I'm new here, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place!

I have a business photographing small children and recently decided that I wanted to try film. I have borrowed a bronica sq and I'm surprised at how much I like it, how I need to consider each shot, and the end result. And of course I like the lack of photoshop!

I would like to buy a medium format camera but I'm not sure which one will work well for me running around after small kids. I'm considering the contax 645 and the rollei 6008af, but I feel like I'll be buying something that I have no idea if it will work for me. I can't seem to find any photographers that shoot medium format for children apart from Cheryl Jacobs. Is it feasible to shoot medium format for my needs? And just to confuse things, would a nikon F6 be a better choice?

Sorry if my questions are silly, but I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks, Michelle

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome to APUG!

I think SuzanneR (one of the mods here) photographs children with a Mamiya RZ (even bigger than the Contax/Rolleis you mention) so yes, it's possible. I know several people who are professionals that uses medium format cameras to photograph people (both big and small ones) so why not?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    michelle, don't see any problems using MF for photographing Children, I personally would use a 645 system, perhaps a contax 645, Mamiya 645 af, or maybe a bronica etrs, whicdh is fairly light for a MF, and with a speed grip almost as easy to use as 35mm,with a lever wind on the grip, get the camera with a couple of spare backs loaded for a quick changeof film and perhaps a 100 or 150 lens and you should be away,Good luck,Richard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    MY daughter paid her way through college photographing babies and children with a Rolleiflex and a Mamiya 645. Most medium SLR's are great for this work once the camera becomes a part of you requiring little attention. This takes practice, practice, practice
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the warm welcome both of you! I hope this is the beginning of a life long love for film. I would love to try my hand in the darkroom too, but I'm getting ahead of myself!

I guess the only way I'm going to know is just to try! I feel medium format is the way to go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would think that a MF would good for photographing children. Most 645s would be good with at least two backs maybe more. BTW welcome to APUG!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jim - did your daughter have a preference of camera that was better to work with? Is auto focus really necessary with kids or with practice would manual focus give consistent results?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Jeff!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With teeny ones, I'd say Auto focus is NICE, but not necessary. The older they get, the easier they are to photograph, period.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hehe, I must be crazy to prefer preschoolers!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin