Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,705   Online: 1083

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    I've owned both. I used them all the time when shooting the NBA on film. Oh the good ol days.

The 553 has a larger mirror, will be newer and has all the up-dates including the AA system. I would go with the 553. They also made a 555 after the 553.... I never had one though.
    The 500 ELX and 553 ELX have the same, large (i.e. non-vignetting) mirror.

There are a few differences between the 500 ELX and 553 ELX, but besides the battery thing (and the change from old style to Acute Matte screen in the "3"-generation), they are all minor. Not of any practical importance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Many of the 500 elx I have been seeing are in fact older than the 553s. So most in the hands of a studio have seen many more cycles than the 553s have.
    They are older, because, well..., they are. Not just many, but all of them.
    They stopped making 500 ELX models when they started making 553 ELX models.

I'm looking for an 555 ELD model myself. I'll have to mortgage the three cats to own one but I know some day these huge "D" backs will be flooding the market used and it would be nice to have one system to do both kinds of photography. (Like that will ever happen, you should see how many cats I've mortgaged for all the stuff I have collected)
    Would it be worth it, you think?
    Very few digital backs use the four contacts the ELD has to trigger backs, and all backs will work on all (!) of the older models just as well.

One very nice option I have looked at was a 503CW with a motor that I can cast off if I want too. I do not know what the CW/CXI motor winder takes as a cable release though. Jut an idea if you can heard a few cats together to mortgage off.

[...]

PS, just looked the CW winder is IR, some used ones come with the remote.
    http://www.keh.com/camera/Hasselblad...990263320?r=FE
    The Winder CW can be triggered through a cheap electrical cable release. Cheap, if you make it yourself.
    You could also adapt and use oe of those cheap Chinese made radio remotes (work over a longer distance than the IR remotes). I saw they can still be had for less than US$ 10, including shipping.

The detachable winder, i.e. being able to turn a C(...) model into an EL(...) model, is what killed the EL line. So many will have thought it a good idea. Myself included, by the way.
    But yes, 503 CW cameras and CW winders are still expensive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info everyone! Very informative as always.

Looks like the 553ELX is the winner. Now I just have to find one for a good price.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeff,

Look here at this one on KEH.
    http://www.keh.com/camera/Hasselblad...090314970?r=FE

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the heads-up Lee.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Got it in and it looks great. Heck of a good deal. Had Dave Easterwood look it over and it's in great working condition.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I guess I'm looking to understand the same issues. Moving from a 500c to 553elx. I don't want to throw away my older gear so the question is that I'll be able to use my original film backs and the lenses yes? Also does the 553 originally come with Acu-mat? And can I connect a grip with a shutter release to it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And just one more question, how in the world do I know if my camera already has acu-mat or not?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin