Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,438   Online: 1162

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Hasselblad - 500ELX or 553ELX?

Is it worth the extra price for the 553ELX? I currently have a 500CM and lenses, would like to add the extra features of the motor drive and electronic release. I understand that I will need to also purchase a 9 volt battery converter.

How hard is it to find a nice long cable release for this? What about a remote release? It would be nice to be able to go 20+ feet, more would be better. I assume it will work in bulb mode as well.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Anyone know if this will work on the 500ELX and/or 553ELX?

Make your own cable release

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My understanding of the two is that the 500 ELX will need either the Hassy rechargeable battery or the 9V adapter. The 553 takes AA batteries.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    My understanding of the two is that the 500 ELX will need either the Hassy rechargeable battery or the 9V adapter. The 553 takes AA batteries.
    Thanks - that lowers the total cost of the 553 then.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Anyone know if this will work on the 500ELX and/or 553ELX?

Make your own cable release
    Absolutely.
    All you need to do is what they do: find the right connector, and find a way to short the correct pins.

P.S.
    If you want a remote, look for those cheap (although some U.S. firm offers (offered?) the very same Chinese made units for many dollars) Chinese radio remotes they offer for all sorts of 35 mm cameras.
    I bought a couple for less than US$ 10 each, including shipping halfway across the world.
    All you need to do to them is remove the connector and replace it with a DIN-plug to fit the Hasselblad.

Most (if not all) of these units offer multi-mode operation. You can abuse that feature (and i confess: i have done so) to your advantage.
    The units i have have a single release button, which if you press it for a (short) while switches the unit into some sort of T mode, i.e. you have to press the button again to finish te exposure. Ideal for long exposures using a Hasselblad.
    Last edited by Q.G.; 10-27-2010 at 12:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Absolutely.
    All you need to do is what they do: find the right connector, and find a way to short the correct pins.
    Excellent. The 553 and the 500ELX use the same connector then?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    According to Wildi's "Hasselblad Manual" they do.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've owned both. I used them all the time when shooting the NBA on film. Oh the good ol days.

The 553 has a larger mirror, will be newer and has all the up-dates including the AA system. I would go with the 553. They also made a 555 after the 553.... I never had one though.

You can easily make your own cords.... I made huge ones to fire the remote cameras at the basket.... if you send me an email with your address I'll send them to you if I can find it.

If I don't have the cords themselves somewhere in a box, I'm sure to have the plugs that go into the camera.... then all you need is a trigger and a cable.

-rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jeff,

I just love the Hassy and have looked at several motorized versions lately to see about picking one up. What I seem to find between the 500ELX and 553ELX besides the battery thing and I am all for AA batteries over 9 volts because of availability... Many of the 500 elx I have been seeing are in fact older than the 553s. So most in the hands of a studio have seen many more cycles than the 553s have.

I like David Odess but hope to buy a camera without a pre-destined trip to see David. Not that it would be a bad thing, but rolling in a couple of great years into a 553 before sending it in for a CLA, just because it was newer to start with is not a bad choice.

I'm looking for an 555 ELD model myself. I'll have to mortgage the three cats to own one but I know some day these huge "D" backs will be flooding the market used and it would be nice to have one system to do both kinds of photography. (Like that will ever happen, you should see how many cats I've mortgaged for all the stuff I have collected)

One very nice option I have looked at was a 503CW with a motor that I can cast off if I want too. I do not know what the CW/CXI motor winder takes as a cable release though. Jut an idea if you can heard a few cats together to mortgage off.

See you in Dec.

Lee

PS, just looked the CW winder is IR, some used ones come with the remote.
    http://www.keh.com/camera/Hasselblad...990263320?r=FE

Just looking at the price... You could buy two ELX for the cost of a CW motor, but again... how much life left in them is always a valid question. Let me know what you do?
    Last edited by daleeman; 10-27-2010 at 08:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    am selling my elm anyone ????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin