Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,887   Online: 1132

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have any technical info to add, but I bought a Pentax 6x7 with the 75mm lens couple years ago (without TTL) and a pentax spot meter. I would recommend the MLU version if you can get one and are if you are planning to use the slower shutter speeds. I am very happy with the whole system (I now have five lenses and a set of extension tubes to go with it).

The best part (or most entertaining part) for me is pressing the shutter button and scaring everyone around me.

Good luck,
    Craig

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, the camera is virtually bullet proof. I have mirror lock up. It is essential to compliment the sharp lenses available.
    The camera remains good value but do not try sneaking up on people with the loud shutter action Be careful buying certain lenses because they may not be compatible with the mirror lock up. I cannot remember which at this stage(might be 135mm)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK folks,

Thanks for all the encouraging answers.

I have discussed the TTL issue with the vendor, who is willing to "recalibrate" the meter.

I have, also, put a second film through the camera using a hand-held meter this time: I have yet to see the results of either film, but have my fingers crossed.

In spite of the heft (the handle really helps with this) and the very loud shutter (and no MLU), I do like the beast very much, and have found it quite easy to use hand-held. (Of course, I have yet to see any results -which should become available on Friday- but I'm hoping).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A heads up for SMBooth here on APUG when he happens along; he has a Pentax 6x7 sans-TTL with 90mm, and is metering with a Sekonic spot
    /incident.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    A heads up for SMBooth here on APUG when he happens along; he has a Pentax 6x7 sans-TTL with 90mm, and is metering with a Sekonic spot
    /incident.
    And I as well. 45mm-105mm-150mm lenses & a Gossen Luna-Pro sbc for all of my metering needs including Hasselblad & Linhof Technika V.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 6X7 with MUL (Mirror Lock Up), and I also have the metered prism. Right off the bat you do not need MUL, I have taken hundreds of photos with this camera, and I have only seen two blurred shots, and both of those were because of the main disadvantage of the metered prism. What is the problem? The problem is that with the metered prism you tend to adjust the camera so the shot is properly metered and not look at your speed thus you shoot at too low a shutter speed and blur your photo. My Metered prism is accurate, your actual mileage may vary.

Check your shutter speed before you shoot and the metered prism should be fine.

I stopped using a handheld meter with this camera a while ago, I still check the meter, before a day of shooting, but that is it unless I am trying to do something a handheld does better for me.

You can hand hold this camera, I have never used a tripod with it, I took a sunset photo with it resting on a table once, that was the closest it ever got to being on a tripod.

A Pentax 6X7 can only use flashbulbs connected to the FP PC jack on the camera for fill flash. People that say this camera can not do fill flash are wrong, it will do fill flash as long as there are flashbulbs (not much longer). You can not use an electronic flash at a faster speed than 1/30 second unless you get a leaf shutter that only gets you to 1/90 second.

Good luck in your quest.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    ...Good luck in your quest.
    Thanks for the advice and the encouragement.

I have already been using this camera and, I must say, I like it (with MLU, TTL or not).

So far, I have found it very comfortable hand-held (using the big handle- which is beautifully designed to balance the rig in a portrait orientation) and the slowest shutter speed I have used is 1/60th sec. We will see tomorrow how the shots pan out. (Using 35mm format, I have several times made good shots -inside churches, cafes etc- as slow as 1/8th sec -bracing myself against a wall or something, of course.)

As I said, I'm hoping the meter will respond to some attention, but -if it doesn't- we may be able to negotiate the price. (I have several 35mm non-metered bodies and several hand-held meters, so it would not be a big drama for me.).

Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pentax 6X7 meter question

I've had a Pentax 6X7 for over 2 years now, with a 105mm, 55mm, and 135mm macro. This camera has such mixed reviews, but in my experience it is a fantastic camera. Think about it...Pentax did not change the basic camera for nearly 30 years, until they came out with the 67 II version in 1998. There's a good reason for that. It worked well and remained very dependable. The metered prism is extremely accurate...it averages the scene, which for most purposes does the trick. I'm sure with trasparency film it may be a little more finicky. I've recently started using a Pentax V Spot meter. Great meter, works well, but comparing my exposures, the metered prism was not far off at all. I only got the spot meter because I've always been passionate about the Zone System, and love working with black & white.
    Great camera. I'm running a roll of film through it about once a week.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am interested in viewing the results of reversal film run through a Pentax 6x7 with TTL meter as opposed to one metered with e.g. a multi-spot /Averaging meter. B&W images I've seen so far meters with hand-held meter (Sekonic L558) have been uniformly excellent; haven't see trannys come off friend's 6x7 yet.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not saying that I know what I'm doing or that what I'm doing is correct, but...
    I meter transparency film with an incident meter. Just saying.........YMMV.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin