Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,632   Online: 1065

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    SNIP

If you use MLU, you are immediately tied to a tripod: how else can you frame your shot?
    Not really, With static shots in landscape format I quite often flip the mirror up with a finger before pressing the shutter. Not so easy panning or portrait format unless you have reallllly long fingers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know where the criticism of the TTL metering in the P67 came from. I bought mine on E-Bay because the seller thought it was broken (he didn't know you have to dismount the lens before putting the prism on most likely) and it exposes slides perfectly. It's not a smart "matrix" meter though- you have to know it's limitations, like don't trust it when metering snow etc...

Images
    If you use MLU, you are immediately tied to a tripod: how else can you frame your shot?
    True, but for those who work on the edges of light with low ISO film, landscape subjects in particular, a tripod becomes an essential tool, especially with 67's longer lenses--if one hopes for critical sharpness. In which case I find the, MLU is preferred.

On the other hand, I once observed a BRIDE magazine shoot and the photographer worked entirely hand-held with his 67 with 400 ISO film.

So, as others have noted, it depends on your druthers, but always good to know what you're dealing with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I don't know where the criticism of the TTL metering in the P67 came from. I bought mine on E-Bay because the seller thought it was broken (he didn't know you have to dismount the lens before putting the prism on most likely) and it exposes slides perfectly. It's not a smart "matrix" meter though- you have to know it's limitations, like don't trust it when metering snow etc...
    My criticism was not about this specific TTL metering system, but about TTL metering in general. A directly-read reflected light meter inside a camera (meaning that it takes its reading based reflected light from the entire composition, as opposed by the user deciding what to meter) will rarely give the textbook perfect exposure, because most compositions do not tonally average out to middle grey. Most do OK most of the time, but only as well as a hand held meter if a grey card is used religiously.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film Counter Not Working on P67II

The film counter on my Pentax 67II (AE Prisim) stopped working. Everything else works perfectly - shutter, exposure meter, mirror-up, etc., - just the frame number doesn't show up or the film end and rewind arrows. Anyone have this happen to the that can shed some light on the problem.

If I send it in to Chris Camera for repair they are going to charge me $200.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Newbi question living in the cooooold weather. I know now I need to use an alternate battery supply. Most of my work will be outside during nighttime for Astrophotography. Looking for sources to aquire either the pocket type battery or preferablly other solution. Newly aquired Pentax 67 w/ 105mm lense. No mirror lockup sadly but someday maybe a 67II.

thanks, Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GlenviewJim View Post
    Newbi question living in the cooooold weather. I know now I need to use an alternate battery supply. Most of my work will be outside during nighttime for Astrophotography. Looking for sources to aquire either the pocket type battery or preferablly other solution. Newly aquired Pentax 67 w/ 105mm lense. No mirror lockup sadly but someday maybe a 67II.

thanks, Jim
    How do you do astrophotography at night without mirror lock up?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hat trick. I actually found a way to use the service button to overide the need for a battery so now I just have to make a device to trigger it. I am still looking to get the alternate battery power though. I live in Chicago area and the cold weather just eats the batteries within a few mins if the camera is sitting out.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I own a Pentax 6x7 (very old) without MLU and two lenses : 75mm/4 for landscape and 150mm/2.8 for portrait. I use it all the time hand-held, down to 1/30, and on my first films I noticed mostly (microscopic) horizontal movement blurring, demonstrating that its origin was the shocks of the focal plane shutter not the mirror slap (the blurring would have been vertical in that case). Other people posted pictures on the Internet that suffered exactly from the same default.

However, when you use a tripod without MLU, if you get vertical blurring, that could be explained by the fact that a tripod adds only stiffness, so some mirror slap induced vibrations may still oscillate while the shutter opens, whereas when you hand-hold, you add mostly damping which absorb instantly these mirror vibrations.

To suppress completely all vibrations when hand-held (even the shutter shocks), I found the wooden hand grip very useful : it widens the base of your two hand grip on the camera and besides, because it protrudes off the front of the camera body, it corrects better the unbalance due to weighty optics.

Paul
    Last edited by polka; 12-11-2010 at 07:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How big a tripod do you need for it? I am looking at backcountry camping with my P67, where I don't want to carry a heavier tripod than necessary. My prime targets are the Induro carbon fiber line. I am thinking about a CT-213, which would weigh about 5lbs with a ballhead. I mostly shoot wideangles and the 105, and I can't see myself owning anything longer than 200mm. My 67 does have a MLU. I can't afford to rebuy multiple times, so I need to get this right the first time.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin