Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,538   Online: 996

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Pentax 6x7 questions

Hello,
    I am considereing buying a pentax 6x7 camera as my first medium format camera and have some questions. I see there are versions which have a metered prism and some without.
    If I have the unmetered version, can I effectively meter a scene with a hand held meter? Will this be accurate if for the exposure or should I look for a metered prism camera?

If anyone has any other suggestions about a decent first medium format camera, I do not want to spend a large amount of money (max maybe $400 for the body).

Thankyou.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A handheld meter is slower, but at least as acurate as, more likely quite a bit more acurate than, a built-in meter.
    Depends on how well you use both though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I heard so many bad things about the accuracy of the ttl prism that I went with the standard prism. I take an incident meter reading and adjust from there. It's worked well for me. If you want to be exact about it a spot meter would be the way to go.
    All in all it's a great camera. Make sure you get the mirror lock-up version or slow shutter speeds will cause your images to suffer from vibration. Also, if you're shooting with flash you're stuck at 1/30 or slower sync. There are available leaf shutter lenses if this is a problem. Try to get the newer "67" model verses the "6x7" or get a 67II. If you give this camera what it wants it will make beautiful, sharp images for you. And the Pentax lenses are sharp, cheap and plentiful. I sold my more valuable Mamiya 7 because it just made nicer images for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Different strokes for different folks:

Just my take on it, but I would not bother with a metered prism if I were looking to keep the expense low and you will be way out of budget if you step up to the 67II with an AE penta prism finder, which is the only metered 67 I would bother with.

With a non-mirror lock-up 67 body, a non-metered prism finder and a 105mm lens, you are looking at about $600 in excellent condition, from what I saw on KEH. If you want to spend a bit more, than the mirror lock-up would be the next feature to go after.

There is no reason, with a good hand held meter, that this would not make every bit as good an image as you could if you stepped up to their 67II with a 90mm/f2.8 lens and AE penta prism finder that they have priced at $1,500. Slower and less convenient, the only feature that you might really miss would be the ability to meter the exposure through a filter rather than having to allow for the filter factor. If you decide that you like the system, this would make a good second body for use with different film or as a back-up while you save up for the high end 67II with an AE penta prism finder.

In any event, as I said, I would go for the low end or the high end, but I would not recommend starting out with something in between.

Spend what you can for a good tripod. You will need it, whether you have mirror lock-up or not and it will make a lot more difference than mirror lock-up does.
    Last edited by jbbooks; 10-31-2010 at 11:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    if you want the best meter, it will not come with your camera, pentax spotmeters will give you close to an absolute accuracy, if you are into the zone system, even if you just shoot different cameras, external spotmeter will do you much good, since you can use it for all of your cameras, to get uniform results.
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought the 6x7 with the 105mm lens for under $400 plus sales tax from a local camera shop earlier this year.
    It has the non-metered prism and is without mirror lock-up.
    I am very happy with its performance even handheld at slower shutter speeds.
    And, adding more lenses has been quite affordable. A 55mm f3.5 for $225 plus sales tax and a 200mm f4 for $89 plus shipping.
    Using your handheld meter should give you excellent results.
    The prisms are easily interchageable, if you decide you would like a metered prism, you can buy it later.
    Last edited by drkhalsa; 10-31-2010 at 12:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for the replies. I will try to get the best deal, if that means a non metered prism I will do as suggested and use an external meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Me too!

Hi all,

I too am looking at an Asahi Pentax 6x7 non MLU in very reasonable but well used (not abused) working condition: it shows brassing on all corners and along some edges. The mirror is exceptionally clean and there is no obvious mould or rubbish in the viewfinder or elsewhere on the body. The asking price is acceptable (providing it all works).

It comes with an SMC Takumar 200/4 lens, which is also very clean inside, the diaphragm, focus ring all very smooth and all the click-stops and the film advance (have to have film in the camera for this to work) and stop-down lever function well.

I too have some questions about the Asahi Pentax 6x7.

One problem: the TTL lightmeter seem to give/result in readings that (presumably) underexpose to hell ; e.g. for ISO 400 film in bright sun, it suggests about f/22 @ 1/1,000 (a long cry from f/16 @ 1/400? Is this something that could be fixed? (I've been assuming the camera.lens functions in open aperture metering, am I right?)

Second question: I see there are 6x7 SMC Takumar lenses and SMC 67 Pentax lenses: will the Asahi Pentas 6x7 accept the later(?) Pentax 67 lenses or not?

BTW, an image of the camera in question may be found here:

http://www.mrmartinweb.com/images/ca...entax6x7lg.jpg

Thanks for responding
    Last edited by Galah; 10-31-2010 at 08:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe 6x7, 67 and 67II lenses are interchangeable, but I don't have first hand knowledge.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    I see there are 6x7 SMC Takumar lenses and SMC 67 Pentax lenses: will the Asahi Pentas 6x7 accept the later(?) Pentax 67 lenses or not?
    Yes, they are 100% compatible.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin