Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,406   Online: 1119

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi

Shooter
    35mm

Hi

First of all I would like to say hi from Perth Western Australia. Photography has been a passion of mine for many years, off and on with various work committment!

I learned to shoot film with a manual camera and although I have quite a good digital camera I find myself going back to my trusty Canon AE1. Which is how and why I found this fabulous site.

I'm considering buying a medium format camera and so far like Hasselblad as they don't appear as bulky and seem more portable. I also like the square format.

Having said that i'm not sure what some of the differences are between certain models. The model i'm considering is the 500 series. What is the difference between 500, 501 or 503?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG. I don't know much about Hasseblads but I know they're excellent cameras. I do have a Rolleiflex TLR which I love. I have a Mamiya RB67 which is a little on the big and heavy side, but that doesn't bother me. I always use a tripod.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome To APUG Norm !

I got a 500C last year but that was my first Hasselblad,
    so I'm not familiar with the differences of the other units.
    I definitely think that is more manageable than the other
    brands, but I am always using a tripod. Except when
    I'm doing some Drive-By Shootings from the car.

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Everything you ever wanted to know about Hasselblads but were too afraid to ask.
    http://www.photoethnography.com/Clas...html~mainFrame
    http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the response people. Those sites explain what i needed to know. Thanks again.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NormG View Post
    [...] Having said that i'm not sure what some of the differences are between certain models. The model i'm considering is the 500 series. What is the difference between 500, 501 or 503?
    Hello!

500 C, C/M?
    501 C or CM?
    503 CX, CXi or CW?

The (main) differences between all Hasselblad V-System models is listed in the "concise tabulated history of Hasselblad camera models" you can find here.

Basically, the 500 C and C/M models are the 'archetypical' Hasselblads. Fully mechanical.

The 503 models added TTL-OTF flash control (using the appropriate flash units and adapters), with the 503 CXi (note that little "i"!) and the 503 CW also taking an add-on motor winder.

The 501 models were meant to be a "budget" (still expensive) choice, offered along with the 503 CW model. The 501 C and CM differ in that the later (CM) has a larger non-vignetting mirror. The only other non-motorized 500-series camera that has that longer mirror is the 503 CW.

I'll explain what that mirror thing is about:
    The 500 cameras had a mirror that was made too short, and thus created a slight viewfinder vignetting (the top of the image was cut off by the mirror. But only in the viewfinder. Not on film!), but only when when using longer lenses or when adding extension between the lens and the camera.
    The mirror was made too short on purpose, because of the 80 mm lens which protruded just a bit too far into the body, and a large-enough mirror would hit the lens when moving up or down.
    Starting with the 503 CW (in the non-motorized 500-series line; the focal plane shutter 2000-series cameras had it first, some 20 years before the 503 CW. In the 500-series the 500 ELX was way ahead of the 503 CW too), the mirror mechanism was changed so that the mirror would move backwards as well as up, avoiding the lens, and making a larger mirror possible. The 501 CM was the only other camera in the non-motorized 500-series that has this mechanism.
    That mechanism is now called the Gliding Mirror System. Before the 503 CW it didn't have a name.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Norm.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NORM!!!!!! Hello and welcome to APUG!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome, Norm, from Melbourne. By the way, there is a whole separate forum here called "Introduce yourself to the APUG community", so you may like to introduce yourself there.

I own a 500 C/M and love it. By the way, there is a great Hasselblad repairman based in Adelaide, so that could be handy to know.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Norm!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin