Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,022   Online: 1186

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Options for 500 speed shutter

When shooting outside in bright light and the camera has 1/500 speed as fastest shutter speed, what are options when you want to shoot with the lens wide open?

ND filters?
    Slow film?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    ND filters?
    Slow film?
    Either, or both

Look at Pan F or FP4. Depending upon how bright it is you may still need a ND filter.

Also, I want to add that depending on your shutter 1/500 shutter speed may not be the most reliable or accurate shutter speed. Maybe shoot for 1/250 or 1/125 even.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Either but, as I almost never shoot a film faster than the 100 ISO range, it is almost never an issue for me. With my camera, I can swap backs and usually carry several films on any shoot. I also have a range of ND filters form 2 through 6 but actually very seldom carry them unless I am going out with a larger kit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ND filters, slow film, adjusted (pull) processing... or wait for more appropriate light.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ND filters?
    Yes
    Slow film?
    Yes

Although this is the #2 reason I'm lusting for a Hassy 2000FCW (#1 is the 110/2!)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My RB67 has a shutter speed of 400, My Bronica ETRS has a 500 max speed, my M645 is 500 but my M645 1000S is 1000. All of my 35mm bodies are at least 1000 so I am mainly concerned with my RB and the ETRS.
    I have never used any of the ASA25 or 50 speed films. I like the look of Tri-X, Hp5 and Px125.
    With that in mind what are your favorite "slow" films?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Either, you can use ND filters or use a film like panf aor the adox art25,Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    You can also use a film with lots of latitude and simply overexpose. A negative film might give very acceptable results when overexposed several stops. I've been known to shoot tri-x in my 35mm cameras with the lens wide open at 1/1000s in sunlight That's about 5 stops overexposed, but if I want a blurred background that's what I have to do and the pictures usually turn out rather printable.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shoot Plus-X at EI 64.

A polarizing filter makes a good ND filter too.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you cannot do it using the holy trifecta of shutter speed, f stop, and film speed, then you have to control the intensity of the light reaching the lens by using other methods, of which neutral density is probably the most effective. A basic photography textbook will tell you all about it, and more.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin