Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,785   Online: 981

Shooter
    Medium Format

Dried water streaked down my film"!

Hey guys. I developed my film last night, and left it in the film closet over night. I took it out this morning and saw that there were drying streaks running all the way down the film.

I haven`t done any printing yet, so I want to know if they`ll show up, or if they can be cleaned? I won`t have time to touch them until tomorrow so I want to know if I can relax or freak out.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few minutes in water and the streaks will come right off.

The last liquid they were in was not clean. Contaminants in it dried on the film as the water evaporated. Use distilled water (or distilled water with a couple drops of photoflo) for their last minute or two before you hang them up to try.

Shooter
    35mm
    Using distilled/deionised water, combined with a wetting agent, for the final bath will give the best results. The streaks (assuming that you've properly washed the film) can be the water's mineral content, but they can also be attributed to too much, or too little wetting agent. A little experimentation will show how much is needed. Now, you don't need to freak out because of the streaks. For the vast majority of the cases, they're on the base side of the film and, IMHO, you don't need to rewash the film. I use a "wettex" (thin foil sponge), which I have washed well and keep clean. I roll a piece of it, wet it with water, squeeze it and wipe the streaks gently. The film will be dry within minutes and the streaks are gone. This only works when the streaks are on the base side, you'll need to rewash if they're on the emulsion side and, unfortunately, success isn't guaranteed. Streaking may or may not be seen on the prints/scans. Very light streaks don't show up in prints made with my condenser enlarger, at least when using normal contrast grades. Harder grades may reveal them but ,frankly, I couldn't care less.

PS Why is this thread in the "Medium Format" forum?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ok, thanks for the responses, unfortunately it's on the emulsion side. I posted here because it's medium format film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Use distilled water with a little fotoflo, soak the film for a few minutes, hang the film and wipe the back (shiny side) only with some kitchen roll,leave to dry and voila,no water marks,Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just curious, how abrasive to the base side can I be before I`ll do damage to the film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you take a soft cotton cloth and gently wipe a slightly moist base side before stowing the negs, you will be ok. I always use some condensation from my breath and the edge of my t-shirt and have never had a problem. Rewetting the entire roll has always caused way more problems for me. Film is in its most fragile and dust prone state when it is wet. You want to keep it that way for as little time as possible. Do a dry cleanup first, and if that doesn't work, consider other options.

If the streaks are on the emulsion side, a solvent-based film cleaner works wonders. Again, something I would do far preferably to wetting an entire roll and redrying it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I would not touch the emulsion or base side of the film, remember every slight mark has to be spotted,I have often had to re wash a filmand never had a problem, it is by far my prefered method of dealing with any drying marks, Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had this problem and solved it by hanging wet film at a 45 degree angle. The water + Photoflo only has to drain across the film not down the full length. And any persistent droplets hang off the bottom edge outside the picture area where they can dry harmlessly.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    I've had good luck with a Q-tip and one drop of Kodak lens cleaner. It breaks down any water soluable material and will evaporate rapidly. The trick is to put as little solution as possible on the film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin