Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,113   Online: 870

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Hassy A12 back releases without darkslide

My one A12 back with A12 release can now be removed from the body without inserting the dark slide. This is a new development, and I have not found any posts describing how to fix the problem. I don't want to lose any more photos due to accidental exposure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean, what's the issue again?
    Why aren't you putting your darkslide in place when not operating the camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tony,

On the "How to change light seals in Hasselblad film magazines" page on Hasselblad Historical, there is a picture (the second in the grey background "Instructions" section) that shows the 'mechanism' (a Big Word for the simple thing it is) that blocks the release button when the slide is not in.

It is the spring "C" points to. The pin on the release button slider is blocked (or should be) by the upper part of spring "C" (not the official name, of course).
    When the slide is inserted fully, it pushes the curved hook at the end of spring "C", pushing it up, allowing the pin on the release slider to slide in the channel in spring "C".

Perhaps that upper pin on spring "C" is bent, or even broken off. Or perhaps it's the pin on the release slider.
    But you can know for sure what's wrong when you take face plate off and have a look.
    So follow the instructions on that page and do take the face plate off the magazine. It's easy, but you need to keep an eye out for parts pointed to by "B", "C" and "D". They could - though normally don't, but could - drop out.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Sorry if I wasn't clear Andre. The film back is not supposed to come off the camera body unless the dark slide is in place so the film is not accidentally exposed. However, my back can be removed without reinserting the dark slide.

QG, thank you for the detailed information. I'll dismantle the film back once I finish the roll and perhaps compare it to my second A12 back.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin