Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,643   Online: 677

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Great deal Barry. Welcome to the club.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi All - I just got a 150 SF as well, no instructions though! Can someone point me in the direction of some? The couple links I found were broken, of course.

barring that, I'll take some instruction from those that have used it -

1. are the disks supposed to increase or decrease the soft effect?

2. when used, do I set the aperture of the disk i'm using on the lens also? or is that the effective aperture with the disk inserted and the lens aperture left wide open? (i hope that makes sense)

Thanks!

Aris

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have some of the same questions and was going to ask them tonight. I have only used it with no disc and at f/4 you get a good effect but it could be too much n some cases.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The discs add more SF effect. The aperture on the disc is the "effective" aperture with it in place. you can shoot whatever aperture you want, with or without discs. Stopping down more (f/8 or more) reduces or eliminates the SF effect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    The discs add more SF effect. The aperture on the disc is the "effective" aperture with it in place. you can shoot whatever aperture you want, with or without discs. Stopping down more (f/8 or more) reduces or eliminates the SF effect.
    Are you sure? The discs close the aperture down and in my experience sharpen the image when the primary aperture is wide open.

The Mamiya sheet can be found and I'm sorry but my slow connection (and maybe APUG) doesn't allow me to upload it, but here's the "skinny" (I'll learn to speak American yet):

Focusing
    The special spherical aberration used in this lens to produce the soft focus effect
    causes some discrepancy in focusing when this is done at full aperture; therefore,
    when focusing always stop this lens down to at least f/8 to cancel the soft focus
    effect.
    The No. 1 Matte and No. 2 Checker focusing screens are ideal for use with this lens.
    The No. 3 Rangefinder Spot or No. 4 Microprism focusing screen may be used,
    however, by stopping down to f/8 or more and using the mat area.
    1. Set the lens aperture at f/8.
    2. Press the depth-of-field preview lever down. The lever locks into position
    automatically.
    3. Focus.
    4. Set the lens to the desired aperture.
    5. Return the depth-of-field preview lever to its original position by slightly
    pressing it in the return direction. The lever will then return automatically.
    Adjustment of the Soft Focus Effect
    The degree of soft focus effect varies depending on whether or not the Softness
    Control Discs are used and in accordance with which of the three Discs is used. The
    amount of effective softness, however, will also depend on the type of subject,
    distance, lighting conditions, the amount of enlargement given the negative, the
    concept, personal Iikes, etc.
    1. When not using a Softness Control Disc
    The soft focus effect varies depending on the aperture used. At full aperture (f/4)
    the softest effect is obtained. The effect is less at f/5.6 and completely disappears at
    f/8 or smaller apertures to produce a normal sharp image.
    2. When using a Softness Control Disc
    There are three different types of Softness Control Discs, each with a different
    diameter hole in the center.
    * Always set this lens at full aperture (f/4) when using one of the Softness Control
    Discs. The f-value of this lens changes according to the Disc used. When the No. 1
    Disc is used the effective lens aperture is approximately f/5; for the No. 2 Disc this
    value is approximately f/5.6; and for the No. 3 Disc it is approximately f/6.3.
    How to attach the Softness Control Discs
    1. Remove the front lens barrel by rotating it counterclockwise.
    2. Slip the disc to be used over the rear end of the front lens barrel.
    3. Put the front lens barrel back into place and tighten by rotating it clockwise.
    Depth-of-field
    The depth-of-field and the degree of softness can be easily checked by stopping
    lens down to the preset aperture by operating the depth-of-field preview lever.
    the

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In my playing with the lens, I believe that what Ross has provided is a good description.

What I would add from practical experience is what the little holes in the disk appear to do/add is;

1- Maintain at least most of the effect the glass is designed to give when smaller apertures are required. Without the holes the effect would be seriously diminished as the aperture closes, as evidenced by the effect disappearing once the normal aperture reaches F8.

2- Create a secondary effect; a halo (don't know what else it might be called) pattern that matches the hole pattern. This is most visible when shooting a strongly back-lit subject.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Test time...
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin