Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,004   Online: 849

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want something unique and hand made, Etsy is a good place.
    http://www.etsy.com/search_results.p..._type=handmade
    But don't end up like David Alan Harvey:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/8...bagaholic.html

My last piece of advice is bigger is not better. I have a screwed up back from years of carrying overloaded camera bags.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the input ... LV is out - HAHA! I'd rather buy the equipment that goes INTO the bag.

I saw Billingham - they look lovely! I also like the Domke bags - I prefer a messenger style. I'm sure the Crumplers are great, but remind me of a lunch bag.

I will search some mentioned here and get my Christmas list together for the family!

PS> the camera wraps are a great idea... I'm pretty easy on my stuff, but ya never know when someone will drop or bump something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two Billingham bags Katie they are wonderful quality canvas and saddle leather, and hand made in the UK but they are expensive even in Britain, heavily padded, the fabric of the canvas ones is a sandwich of two layers of canvas with a layer of rubber in between which makes them very waterproof but heavy I have recently bought a Domke F2 bag and can get more in it than the Billingham 335 I have, and it's much lighter to carry.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    PS> the camera wraps are a great idea... I'm pretty easy on my stuff, but ya never know when someone will drop or bump something.
    They may seem a good idea. But a bit less after you have unwrapped and wrapped the stuff a few times. A bad idea after you have done so many times.
    I used to wrap equipment that got stuffed into a big backpack, and grew to hate the things.
    A padded bag is much easier, quicker. You just drop the gear in the compartment, or pull it out when needed, and that's it. Now that's a great idea!

Mind that if you go for a Billingham bag, that they tend be rather narrow. I couldn't fit my modestly sized Hasselblad and a quartet of lenses in any but the largest they sell. Had no problem stuffing them in smaller (!) bags that were large enough where the Billinghams weren't. If they had been just a few mm wider, they would have been good. The divided inserts too were too narrow to take the lenses.
    So take your gear along and try if it fits before you buy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Katie,
    Most of the bags here are good. But there's nothing like taking your stuff down to the local(HA!) shop & trying some on.
    Right now I'm down to a Domke F2, Tamrac 508?( holds RB67 2 lenses, pola back.)
    And a small messenger type I got at an army surplus store. I use this the most.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I have decided on the Domke F-2 in the waxwear finish with inserts.

It's cute - even for it's size.
    It's rugged - like me (not).
    It's in a great price range.
    It's got great feedback so far.

Thanks so much for your input everyone!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow, that's the first time I think a Domke has been called "cute..."

Shooter
    Multi Format

Now that the OP has made a decision and acted on it, there will be a flood of postings with advice about what she should have gotten.

Its the APUG way.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a rolleiflex sl66 gripped with several lenses (5) + lightmeter + filters bay VI + cookin p set. all in a Lowepro vertex 200, I know is not the best to walk arround in the city. and it's a system a bit heavy for a girl, but, what can I tell you, to me (I'm used to take landscape photo) is the best.. it has all weather cover, it can hold my Manfrotto, and everithing..
    Also I used to have a crumpler 6 or 7 million dolar it was for my digital gear (canon with some lenses and flashes), and i found out that the messenger type of pack is not the best for heavy cameras. My back told me that once..
    I recomends you to buy some medium-small backpack. Lowepro has very good solutions, and Crumpler too, but crumpler is expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Katie,

I'm a little late to the party but you might also consider jill-e bags -- very good quality, durable camera bags that are attractive and geared towards women. I have this bag (small size) which fits my Bronica SQ set up (body, three lenses, three backs, plus film) -- there are larger sizes if you want it to hold two systems. They also seem to be coming up with new designs and bags all the time.

The one downside is that they are a bit expensive (but shop around for prices).
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin