Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,494   Online: 877

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pentax 67 / 6x7 in BGN condition - what to expect

Tempted to by an Pentax 67, or 6x7, outfit from KEH in bgn condition. Till now I bought a number of lenses in ex or better condition and totally satisfied with them.
    Never bought camera body from them so in great dillema what bgn outfit will emerge. Dents, dings and brassing will not me make too happy. And return of goods is complicated bussines in my case.

Any advice?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    KEH bargain can vary quite a bit. I've ordered a number of bargain lenses and they were really nice. I recently ordered a bargain Olympus body and it was pretty beat and I returned it. Based on your comments, I'd stick to an EXC or better. You can ask them what to expect for the particular body you are looking at. It may have a single big mark or a ding with the rest of the body being great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    EXC outfits are 6x7, but 67 which I prefer are only BGN, since my dilemma.
    Do they give informations what to expect for the particular body?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Considering how inexpensive 67's are I would advise you to get the newest , cleanest body you can afford. A VERY common failing on these is the frame advance and it's not cheap to repair. As far as lenses, viewfinders etc., go for it.
    Last edited by Casey Kidwell; 11-07-2010 at 07:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think there is much difference between the 6x7 with MLU and the 67 except for the shutter timing being electro Vs mechanical. Its when you step up to the 67II is were the changes are. So I would get a EXC 6x7MLU over a BGN 67.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vlasta View Post
    Do they give informations what to expect for the particular body?
    Not from my experience. If you insist, the rep will just repeat the standard they use to grade their equipment. It seems their inventory system does not contain details and they are certainly not going to go to warehouse to look at the particular gear for you. (they didn't for me)

Personally, I buy EX and higher rated gear only.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I wouldn't try to save money by getting a camera that isn't working correctly. These aren't rare cameras, so there is no reason to get one that's not in correct working condition. You'll be highly frustrated if you buy one, it doesn't work. You return it for another, that one doesn't work.

Just spend the extra money and get one that works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go for the EXC and leave the BGN stuff for me . BGN can be a gamble, my wife got me a Nikon FE, 55 Micro, and 50/1.4 all rated BGN. The FE and Micro are in great condition, I would have thought they were EXC if I didn't know better. The 50/1.4 must be the low end of BGN. Optically and mechanically its great but the rubber focus ring has separated from the body in some places and looks to be tacked back in place with super glue and the body has some scratches (the glass is fine). I don't mind some battle scars but it sounds like you would be better off with EXC.

Adam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok gentlemans, I'll avoid BGN bodies gamble.
    That leaves me with 6x7 with TTL prism.

... and one more question - is 67 II worth that extra extra money?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin