Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,968   Online: 913

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya 645 super problem

Hi, few days back after taking photos with my Mamiya 645 Super. The whole roll of film coming out blank (i develop the film myself). Looks like it was not being exposed! I tried 2 rolls of film subsequently and having the same problem. I checked the camera everything seems ok including the new battery installed.
    The week before everything was ok, the images all developed without any problems.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I only ask this as I was dumb enough to have done it this past weekend (I just got an M645J and am learning how to use it): Is there any chance the film was loaded the wrong way?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gotta ask, but are you sure of the development process? Are there markings on the film edges? If not, then it is most likely the development rather than the camera.

Since this has happened more than once I am guessing that the above is not the case, but we gotta ask.

Have you used the camera before with success? (edit, oops, I see you answered this in your original post)

Could it be that the dark slide is in the camera and the interlock is malfunctioning?

There are other possibilities that can be investigated by looking at the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG!

Do you have a leaf shutter lens on the camera? If so, is that shutter cycling properly and have you set the focal plane shutter to 1/8 or slower.

My bet though would be the dark slide.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adding to what Matt has said:

IF the back is working like it should, it will not let shutter to release with the dark slide in. HOWEVER, this interlock is made possible by a tiny electronic switch in the back. I had one back with this switch defective and it would let me release the shutter all day long with the dark-slide in place. It's worth checking....

I can't test this myself as I am not at home. But, I *think* you can set the shutter switch to MULTI on the side, wind once, pop open the back, remove the insert, and observe the shutter opening. Can you do that and see if shutter is actually releasing? I have seen weird behavior when my battery became weak.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From experience with a Bronica SQb:
    1.) Double check that you are loading the film properly.
    2.) The dark slide can malfunction so make sure it is working properly.

Take none of it personally..."things" happen all the time especially when out in the field. Good luck.

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi, am sure that the film was loaded correctly. Glad to know that you've just bought your M645J, sure you will have fun with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seems like Matt and tkamiya said everything I would have said.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi, thanks for all the response.

1) am not using the lens with leaf shutter;
    2) the dark slide is working properly, I can't release the shutter when the darkslide is in the camera;
    3) am using 120 black & white film, usually after developing there is no film markings on the edges - just the 15 developed photos. Do I miss anything ??
    4) for the 2 blank rolls its just the clear plastic film, no images at all after developing.

Later will check again the camera functions and clean all the electrical contact then see how.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tommychan View Post
    Hi, thanks for all the response.

3) am using 120 black & white film, usually after developing there is no film markings on the edges - just the 15 developed photos. Do I miss anything ??
    Are you saying the frame numbers didn't even show up? They Should always be there.

And why don't you just open the back of the camera and trip the shutter, see if the shutter opens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin