Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,392   Online: 660

View Poll Results: Which choice would you make with limited funds?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wide-angle lens for RB67

26 96.30%
  • BGN RZ67 bundle with 110mm f2.8 (and buy a wide-angle)

0 0%
  • EX RZ67 bundle with 90mm f3.5

1 3.70%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    FWIW, the KL series lenses for the RB are superb and identical to the RZ lenses, save for the electronic shutters. They aren't as cheap as C lenses but they are sharper with better coatings.
    Yes, but in my searches the KL lenses are much more expensive. I've actually been able to find many RZ lenses for cheaper than C lenses, which is what got me thinking about an RZ kit.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From your original post and the comments following it, it sure looks like you want the RZ, which is changing the decision making process. If you want it that bad and can afford it, then you probably ought to buy it. However, be aware that you are suffering from a bout of GAS and giving in to it rarely makes it go away.

What do you want from an RZ that you are not getting from your RB? If there is a significant reason to have the RZ rather than the RB, then this could represent a chance to upgrade to the RZ with a little less money out of your pocket. If you are just suffering from GAS, well, then you are just suffering from GAS and will need to decide how to deal with that. Perhaps you should just buy the RZ, but I have a feeling you will be happier with your choice if you understand why you are doing it.

In looking at KEH, I see that the 50mm C lens for RB is $325 in EX and not available in BGN and the 50mm RZ in EX is $215. That is a big difference. However, the cheapest route, unless you sell your RB equipment, is to get the RB lens. If you are trying to convince yourself that the RB lens is overpriced and therefore you should drop another $350 to save $110, there is a hole in your logic. If you wish to get into RZ equipment, however, this is a chance to get into the RB rig (BGN rating) for something like $250 rather than $350, so it might represent a good opportunity for you.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Paul Sorensen; 11-08-2010 at 01:17 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correcting error

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kodachrome64 View Post
    Yes, but in my searches the KL lenses are much more expensive. I've actually been able to find many RZ lenses for cheaper than C lenses, which is what got me thinking about an RZ kit.
    Bargains are where you find them, which means they're not stocked on shelves. I got a boxed NOS 150/3.5 KL last summer for $175. I'm not sold on the idea that the RZ is a huge upgrade from a working RB kit. Many believe the old C lenses were better made and more durable than the later KL lenses. I'd also not freak about not getting a C lens. Better coatings don't take the place of intelligent use of a lens hood and seeing where flare would be a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got the 50mm C for my RB and it rarely leaves the camera, it's just awesome! Does that help?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, I think that KEH normally has more 50mm RB lenses available than they currently have.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen View Post
    From your original post and the comments following it, it sure looks like you want the RZ, which is changing the decision making process. If you want it that bad and can afford it, then you probably ought to buy it. However, be aware that you are suffering from a bout of GAS and giving in to it rarely makes it go away.

What do you want from an RZ that you are not getting from your RB? If there is a significant reason to have the RZ rather than the RB, then this could represent a chance to upgrade to the RZ with a little less money out of your pocket. If you are just suffering from GAS, well, then you are just suffering from GAS and will need to decide how to deal with that. Perhaps you should just buy the RZ, but I have a feeling you will be happier with your choice if you understand why you are doing it.

In looking at KEH, I see that the 50mm C lens for RB is $325 in EX and not available in BGN and the 50mm RZ in EX is $215. That is a big difference. However, the cheapest route, unless you sell your RB equipment, is to get the RB lens. If you are trying to convince yourself that the RB lens is overpriced and therefore you should drop another $350 to save $110, there is a hole in your logic. If you wish to get into RZ equipment, however, this is a chance to get into the RB rig (BGN rating) for something like $250 rather than $350, so it might represent a good opportunity for you.

Good luck!
    You make a good point. The reason I am considering an upgrade is because my RB (purchased off of eBay) is not in very good condition. None of the interlocks work and I'm probably going to have to be replacing it (or at least some parts) soon. I am at the point where I want to add a back or two and perhaps some accessories. That, and the need I now have to purchase a lens or two, is what is fueling thoughts about upgrading. The only lens I have for my RB is a 127mm which is about the cheapest lens available.

I am not trying to spend $350 to save $110. I think I do wish to get into RZ equipment, and my thoughts were that I can get into it for $250 and can purchase the newer Sekor Z 50mm lens for less than I have generally been able to find the older 50mm Sekor non-C lens. I don't think there will be any issues in getting familiar with the equipment in order to do a job, since I'll have plenty of time to work with it before I need to use it.

Has anyone ever gotten a BGN RZ67 from KEH? After looking at it I do want the RZ because of the updated design and features. I am not looking at it as a way to save money in an absolute sense, but perhaps to see if this is a good time to jump into the new system.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Okay, now you're spillin' the beans...

If the RB is not working as it should, then it's another story.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go for the RZ. The lenses are generally better, there's no analog to the 110/2.8 in the RB world. PLus the ULD 50 for the RZ is superb (regular 50 is quite nice too!). RZ: smaller, lighter, easier to use, better design, more modern, not much more $, and lenses and parts are easier to find than the RB equivalents (if they exist at all...). There's no downside to the RZ vs. RB, in my opinion. The only 2 I could even think of would be non-battery operation of RB (a non-issue, batteries last forever in the RZ and they are cheap and tiny), and the so-called 6x8 back on RB, which in reality is only 4mm wider than the RZ 6x7 back. (74 vs 70mm). but basically those are non-issues. Everything else favors the RZ.

-Ed

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin