Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 747

View Poll Results: Which choice would you make with limited funds?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wide-angle lens for RB67

26 96.30%
  • BGN RZ67 bundle with 110mm f2.8 (and buy a wide-angle)

0 0%
  • EX RZ67 bundle with 90mm f3.5

1 3.70%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kodachrome64 View Post
    Has anyone ever gotten a BGN RZ67 from KEH?
    No RZ items, but, ironically enough, I have a number of RB items purchased from KEH in BGN condition. All of them work great, one of the bodies is a little rough, the other items are generally prettier than I would have expected. I generally buy BGN from them unless it feels like the difference is not enough. I would buy the EX 50mm RZ lens because the BGN is not enough cheaper, for example.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Go for the RZ. The lenses are generally better, there's no analog to the 110/2.8 in the RB world. PLus the ULD 50 for the RZ is superb (regular 50 is quite nice too!). RZ: smaller, lighter, easier to use, better design, more modern, not much more $, and lenses and parts are easier to find than the RB equivalents (if they exist at all...). There's no downside to the RZ vs. RB, in my opinion. The only 2 I could even think of would be non-battery operation of RB (a non-issue, batteries last forever in the RZ and they are cheap and tiny), and the so-called 6x8 back on RB, which in reality is only 4mm wider than the RZ 6x7 back. (74 vs 70mm). but basically those are non-issues. Everything else favors the RZ.

-Ed
    Just keep in mind that both models earned their keep as professional equipment and many are high-mileage, worked-to-death veterans with issues. I only see the occasional RZ kit that was amateur shot; the rest are ex-pro gear. On balance, RB Pro S and Pro SD bodies seem to hold up better than the cracked and crunched Rzs with sketchy electronics friends keep showing me. They're both great system cameras but their job histories, rather than model alone, can make a huge difference. Caveat emptor, as usual.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Go for the RZ. The lenses are generally better, there's no analog to the 110/2.8 in the RB world. PLus the ULD 50 for the RZ is superb (regular 50 is quite nice too!). RZ: smaller, lighter, easier to use, better design, more modern, not much more $, and lenses and parts are easier to find than the RB equivalents (if they exist at all...). There's no downside to the RZ vs. RB, in my opinion. The only 2 I could even think of would be non-battery operation of RB (a non-issue, batteries last forever in the RZ and they are cheap and tiny), and the so-called 6x8 back on RB, which in reality is only 4mm wider than the RZ 6x7 back. (74 vs 70mm). but basically those are non-issues. Everything else favors the RZ.

-Ed
    This is an example of what I was trying to find out (and really my exact thought process). My line of thinking was that, aside from the initial investment in the camera bundle ($250-350), I would be spending about the same money on lenses and accessories that are newer and widely considered to be better. I don't really care about the battery issue and don't especially value an all-mechanical camera. I'm fine with the regular 6x7 back so that's a non-issue.

The applicable downsides that have been brought up are unfamiliarity with the equipment and basing a job off of new equipment that may or may not be working properly. If I have sufficient time to play with it before using it for the job I don't think those two will be issues. If there is a problem, I can rent a 50mm RB lens from Dallas Camera per David's suggestion below.

Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Great idea David...I have never used them before. Perhaps even renting a 50mm lens for this job would be a good idea anyway.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I may seem like I asked a question that I wanted a certain answer to, but I do value the responses and collective knowledge here. Aside from any general concerns about doing jobs with unfamiliar equipment, are there any other issues that may be a factor in deciding whether or not to switch to the RZ system from RB?
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you are already familiar with your camera ...
    the worst thing is to be unfamiliar with a camera you are
    using for a job, it kinda looks unprofessional ...

get the wide lens, the good one for the camera you own now, and
    after the job then after you get paid, get the rz ...
    just remember that often times KEH ratings are cosmetics, not operation
    ... i have never had problems but others seem kind of upset ...
    ( you can search here under KEH to see stories ... so getting a new/used
    camera, and then having it konk out while you are using it is pretty bad too )

have fun !
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well the RB is fully mechanical, with the timing in each lens, with the RZ you have required electronics that need power to function. The RB will function as long as you can machine fine parts for the lenses and make your own film or get a digital back for it .....ie: hundreds of years to come..maybe forever.

I would stick with the RB unless you have "extra" money you don't really need.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I see 50mm lenses for sale on KEH in BGN for less than an RZ setup. Besides the RB stuff is much sturdier n easier to repair plus you already have one.

Go get a 50mm, you'll love it to death!
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Policar View Post
    I recently bought a bgn rz67 (and a bgn toyo 45aii--big spender!) from keh. The rz67 arrived in better condition than the toyo, with one knob showing major brassing but the rest is in essentially excellent condition. Functionally, it seems perfect, with the occasional weird quirk but nothing so far that isn't likely ascribed to user error.

I love the rz67, but may have to sell it to finance the ridiculous expense of shooting large format. I've never used the rb67, though.

I can post some photos tomorrow if you want to see what a keh bgn camera looks like. I imagine every camera from keh is different, though--luck of the draw.

Of the three lenses I have (110mm f2.8; 65mm f4 m-la; 50mm f4.5 uld), the 65mm is the sharpest and the only lens for which a direct optical corollary is available for the rb67 (the 65mm kl). That said, the 110mm is impressive wide open and the 50mm is no slouch, either: wonderful corner to corner, but still not quite as sharp as the 65mm, though it's very, very close.

I really like the rz67 and recommend it if you keep shooting film, but I imagine the value of the rz67 and its lenses will only continue to plummet, sad thought it makes me to admit it. And if I had the money of course I'd prefer a Hasselblad for its smaller size and super cool Ziess lenses, but I don't have the money.
    Sure, some pictures of your rig would be great if you get a chance. Thanks for sharing your experience!
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Maybe I missed this--BUT what does the RZ get you that the RB doesn't other than the ability to put a battery in the camera. I have shot a RB for 10 years and the camera body has never failed to deliver. Good old mechanical simplicity. Some have stated that the RZ lenses are better, which on paper may be true but there has never been a softness problem with the RB lenses I use. (50mmC, 90mmC, & 250mmC)

I say just get a 50mmC and keep using the RB it is a tried and true workhorse of a camera. Bang for the buck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 23mjm View Post
    Maybe I missed this--BUT what does the RZ get you that the RB doesn't other than the ability to put a battery in the camera. I have shot a RB for 10 years and the camera body has never failed to deliver. Good old mechanical simplicity. Some have stated that the RZ lenses are better, which on paper may be true but there has never been a softness problem with the RB lenses I use. (50mmC, 90mmC, & 250mmC)

I say just get a 50mmC and keep using the RB it is a tried and true workhorse of a camera. Bang for the buck.
    RZ gets you the 110/2.8 and the 50 ULD - in my opinion both valid reasons to get one! It's also a little lighter, doesn't require regular shutter CLAs and you can use the AE prism if that's your thing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No and less RZ repairs becuase they get thrown out when they breakdown.

What is the oldest RZ on the road? now think real hard... how many 35yr old RBs are still being used today?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin