Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,848   Online: 718

View Poll Results: Which choice would you make with limited funds?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wide-angle lens for RB67

26 96.30%
  • BGN RZ67 bundle with 110mm f2.8 (and buy a wide-angle)

0 0%
  • EX RZ67 bundle with 90mm f3.5

1 3.70%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nick;

I sold my RB when I got the RZ. It is a huge upgrade when you think about everything. I love it. All of the lenses are great, the tilt and swing are great and the options are great. Don't look back. I just wish that Kodachrome was available in 120!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    110mm f/2 would *rule*. As it is the 2.8 is pretty sweet, but f/2 - that would be truly something. Even wide open the 2.8 is quite sharp and very consistent across the frame and into the corners.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    How, when on a limited budget, will another body with a lens of similar focal length to the one you already have help you to fulfill the requirements of your commission? In the end, you will have nothing much different than what you already have, and still will not have what you need to get your job done. This one is a no brainer.
    I wasn't clear about the budget...I can swing the extra ~$200 for the 50mm lens I need. My plan is to get the RZ kit and the 50mm lens.

I had always thought that RB glass would be a lot cheaper than the newer RZ glass. After really looking into it for the first time I was quite surprised to find that it wasn't really the case. I guess something just feels wrong to me to pay more (or even the same price) for inferior glass. I figured that if I can swing the extra money for an additional wide lens, I would be making a more long-term decision.

The biggest investment in camera systems is usually the glass, and I feel that buying RZ glass will be a better use of my money. The camera solves a couple of the issues I have with the RB (inconsistent exposure among lenses, two-motion cocking, etc) and I think I would be money ahead going into it now rather than later, especially if this job will more than pay for the gear.

I realize a lot of people disagree and the RB67 seems to be generally more liked on this forum than the RZ67, but I gained a lot of insight from the comments. Several good arguments were made against the RZ67 system and it helped me make sure I was thinking about everything. The downsides of the RZ that most presented would not be downsides for me. I do definitely agree that it would be a bad choice if I only had $300 to spend and chose to spend it on a new camera that still did not have the lens I needed.

I think perhaps I incorrectly framed the question to suggest that I could spend either on a 50mm lens or an RZ67 with a 90mm lens. Since I can do both, I think I'll be happy with the choice.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Nick;

I sold my RB when I got the RZ. It is a huge upgrade when you think about everything. I love it. All of the lenses are great, the tilt and swing are great and the options are great. Don't look back. I just wish that Kodachrome was available in 120!

PE
    Hi PE,

Thanks for your experience. I think the RZ will be a great upgrade for me and will renew my zeal for medium format! I'm glad I had held off on buying accessories for my RB. Hmmm tilt and swing...

Oh how I wish I could have shot Kodachrome in 120! I envy you that at least you were able to experience the great film in its heyday. Mama did take our Kodachrome away, but at least she gave us Ektar 100 in 120! I'm loving that film.
    Kodachrome
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kodachrome64 View Post
    Maybe I didn't mention it, but I mostly shoot people (portraits and some street).
    If you shoot people on the street with an RB67, you don't need another camera, you need a bodyguard. Not exactly an unobtrusive camera, LOL.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm probably biased towards the RZ, as that is my favorite. I have never experienced battery drain issues with my RZ's. A moot point that some mention as a deterrent to acquiring a RZ, ridiculously favoring the RB on that point alone. There are times I prefer to use auto exposure; not available with the RB. Then, as mentioned, the RZ allows use of the 110mm, the 50mm ULD, the 210 APO, and the tilt-shift adapter. All with auto exposure if needed.
    Big pluses in my book. A small, separate advantage with the RZ, is the single cocking lever, small issue, but still an advantage over the RB.

On another foot, one can not always say that a RZ will be newer than a RB. RB Pro SD's were simultaneously produced along side RZ's for many years.

Also, some more options to add to your decision process, there is a seller in Japan with a lot of new-old-stock NOS on the big auction site now.
    Check out some of his RB and RZ gear. His auction site handle is, sanpoucamera

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Also, some more options to add to your decision process, there is a seller in Japan with a lot of new-old-stock NOS on the big auction site now.
    Check out some of his RB and RZ gear. His auction site handle is, sanpoucamera"

There were some concerns last year over Mamiya NOS lenses--both RB+RZ--that showed their age with fungus issues. One busy HK eBay dealer, the now-defunct "wkcrs," sold tons of lenses that made it to resellers who spread the problem. Not sure "sanpou" is among them but it might be wise to check their refund policies.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
    I'm probably biased towards the RZ, as that is my favorite. I have never experienced battery drain issues with my RZ's. A moot point that some mention as a deterrent to acquiring a RZ, ridiculously favoring the RB on that point alone. There are times I prefer to use auto exposure; not available with the RB. Then, as mentioned, the RZ allows use of the 110mm, the 50mm ULD, the 210 APO, and the tilt-shift adapter. All with auto exposure if needed.
    Big pluses in my book. A small, separate advantage with the RZ, is the single cocking lever, small issue, but still an advantage over the RB.

On another foot, one can not always say that a RZ will be newer than a RB. RB Pro SD's were simultaneously produced along side RZ's for many years.
    I absolutely love my RZ. The issues I was having with the RB were getting frustrating. It's still a great camera, don't get me wrong, but the RZ is a better match for me. The one area where I will say the RB wins for me is in aesthetics. It's just a purdier camera. Also, many people seem to say that the RZ is easier to carry than the RB. It doesn't seem any lighter to me and it sure as heck ain't smaller. After using it for a while, the things I really love are:

-Great lenses for awesome prices
    -Interlocks work very well (the ones on my RB ProS didn't work)
    -Locking rotating back (my RB back would drift between portrait and landscape)
    -Accurate, reliable shutter
    -One cocking motion (as opposed to 3 with my RB)

I can see why so many people love the RB, but I can't see why so many seem to have a prejudice against the RZ. The battery just controls the electronic (accurate) shutter, but otherwise, it's still the same mechanical camera.
    Kodachrome
    -Paul Simon

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin