Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,626   Online: 881

View Poll Results: Which choice would you make with limited funds?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wide-angle lens for RB67

26 96.30%
  • BGN RZ67 bundle with 110mm f2.8 (and buy a wide-angle)

0 0%
  • EX RZ67 bundle with 90mm f3.5

1 3.70%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Need help making gear choice: get an RZ67 bundle or sink more $$ into the RB?

Hi Everyone,

I have had my RB67 for a few years and usually shoot portraits with it and my 127mm f3.8 lens. I have been commissioned for a new job by a local landscaper to do some shots of landscaping and lighting on several homes in the area. He is giving me an advance for some supplies I'll need and the rest when I finish.

My first thought was that I'll need a wide-angle lens for my RB67. I've looked at the 65mm and the 50mm and prices generally range from $150-300 for either (most of them non-C lenses). That's what I was able to see right now. I came across several 50mm Sekor Z lenses for the RZ67 for less than the Sekor C lenses.

Here's my dilemma: at this point I have not sunk any extra money into my RB67. Rather than paying a couple hundred for a wide-angle lens for it, would you take the opportunity to get an RZ67 bundle? There are many reasonably priced ones on KEH, say for ~$350 with a 110mm f2.8 in BGN or with a 90mm f3.5 in EX.

There is another question that comes up with the RZ67: do I go for one in BGN condition with the 110mm lens (which I've heard is very good) and still have to purchase a wide-angle for landscapes, or do I go for the bundle with the 90mm in EX condition, and hope that lens is wide enough where I don't have to purchase another (right now)? Sorry for all the questions; I thought it would be pretty simple to go get another lens for my RB but then I was hit with the great prices for RZ bundles and lenses. Please help!!

Nick
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The 90mm is not wide. It's more or less the "normal" lens for the RB/RZ. I would look for a "C" lens for the RB if it were me.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I advise getting the wide-angle 'C' now. Get the RZ bundle after you finish the job. Back-up bodies are always good.

And this will help the GAS pains.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think I'd just go with a wider lens for the camera you already have. You know that camera and know it works. Being comfortable with your tools is a good way forward.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestions. I guess my issue is that it's hard to justify putting another couple hundred into the RB when I can get the RZ for such a good price.

If I can swing getting the RZ (with 90mm or 110mm) and a 50mm lens before the job, would that be more advisable than getting the 50mm for the RB? I think I may be able to get it with the KEH prices. Is there any reason NOT to go the RZ route?

Thanks!
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not hire what you need and try it out in a dummy run?, then only if you have a regular constant need for it for these type of jobs buy it.
    Ben

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    RB lenses will work on RZ bodies but NOT the other way 'round. You seem to have the hots for an RZ kit that duplicates what you have with added disadvantage that its lenses won't fit the RB--not smart. 50-65mm C RB wides aren't scarce nor are they that pricey. Provided your current RB kit functions properly, why chance a new kit that might not? Your client presumably wants results. Get an RB 50-65mm(your 90 probably isn't wide enough--assuming you've checked), finish the job, and futz with the RZ/RB conundrum later. FWIW, the KL series lenses for the RB are superb and identical to the RZ lenses, save for the electronic shutters. They aren't as cheap as C lenses but they are sharper with better coatings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet. Aren't the RB and RZ systems compatible except for the metering?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are folks with faster fingers than I.
    And more informed.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Even if you get the RZ at $350, you still need the wide angle and as I wouldn't gamble on BGN condition stuff, you're out at least $180 and some shipping. Say $550. With that kind of money you could get an EX or even EX+ condition RB lens and still have some spare change left.

Go with the gut feeling. What feels best?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin