Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,878   Online: 1097

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Anyone have experience with the Mamiya 100-200mm F5.2 W zoom Lens for RZ67??

I'm thinking of buying this lens for studio work. It's so cheap! New ones are selling in the 300-400 range. I'd appreciate any comments regarding it's use in the studio and performance...

Thanks.
    Luigi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I talk to a guy, fashion, weddings n assorted freelance tha has one. He is in love with the lens. I'll e-mail the fellow n have him post his reviews for ya.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Honestly, I'd skip it. It's a short range, is somewhat unwieldy, and not as sharp as the primes. There's a reason it's cheap. ;-)

A 110/2.8 and 180/4.5 could be had together for under $400 with some careful shopping. I think that's a more versatile combo.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For studio work, a zoom is not necessary. If you were thinking of using it in the field, that would be a different story. For the studio, why settle for a zoom when it will cost you sharpness?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you were going to use in the 'field' I would consider it.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for your comments. I have a 110mm, and am also considering the 180mm for portraits. I think you are right that it would be more helpful outside the studio than in. I'm still thinking ....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been using one for a few years now and have always been pleased with the results. I tend to use the primes for studio work, especially portraiture, but love using the lens in the field because of its versatility. When stoppped down to f8, I can see little difference between its results and those of the primes - and distortion is so minimal as to be of no consequence. If you don't need the speed, it can allow you to leave the 110, 180 and 210/250 lenses at home. In the field, I tend to take either the 50 or 65, the zoom, and perhaps the 1.4x teleconverter or the 360mm. If I know I'll be shooting architecture, then I'll leave the long telephoto and take the 75 shift, no laughing matter as it's heavier than the zoom. Unless you plan to use the 100-200 for close focusing/macro at around 0.5m, you can dispense with the support bracket (and save quite a lot of money if you buy second hand as lenses without can go for as little as $180 at K*H or on ebay). Buy it new and it comes with the bracket which has also been designed to accommodate the Winder - a boon if you use certain digital backs. At the low prices right now, I'd be tempted to buy...I've got 2 and have never regretted them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin