Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,922   Online: 981

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 645AF vs RZ67

Shooter
    Multi Format

Have both

I have both a full Mamiya 7 kit, and a pretty complete RZ67 kit. They are both great, the RZ is pretty doable as a walkaround/handheld camera too. As mentioned the lenses for both systems are great, though where there's overlap, the 7's glass is a little better I think. Still, the RZ excels for portraits, closeups, tele shots, fisheye and many other things that you can't do with the 7. I use and enjoy both systems a lot.

I agree, if you are going to do MF, 645 seems like a waste of time to me, I like it big, so 6x7 is the way to go in my case.

Looking at the results I get from the Mamiya 7, I think 4x5 is almost superfluous in many ways. 4x5 offers movements, which I think is the only real upside. The Mamiya 7 results equal 4x5 practially, in many ways, with much more convenience.

-Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The decision has been made! I called KEH and have a RZ67 Pro II, 50mm lens, 110mm lens, AE Prism, 3 120 backs, 1 220 back, strap, and hoods all set aside for PU. I will meet the purchasing guys at 2:30 to trade in the 645 stuff and walk out by about 3 with the RZ kit.

Looks like I will be about $200 out of pocket. Of course I could do better if I sold the 645 piece by piece on e bay or uch but I am really tired of that stuff....seems SO much easier to jsut drop off and trade up

I paid $450 for the 645AF, 55mm, 80mm, 2 backs, Metz flash. added the Sekor C 35mm to the kit for $250. I think it will work out in my favor overall.

Thanks for all the opinions...we seems to be on the same page
    david
    Atlanta, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The RZ has a reputation for mediocre glass? Since when? Sorry but that is complete BS. There is no such reputation.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congrats! That's a great kit to start with. I started my RZ foray with something similar, basically the camera, PD prism, 50mm, 110mm and a couple backs. Later it got to be a slipperly slope and more lenses were acquired, etc. One of the best parts of the RZ system is the wide variety of glass available, it's really pretty complete. Much of it can be found for 10 cents on the dollar vs. original retail costs (which are/were insanely expensive, back in the day).

-Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey David, I have a complete RB kit and I love using that camera more than any of my others. I have never heard anyone say the RZ glass was mediocre so I am going to cal BS too.
    I have two M645 bodies and a complete Bronica ETRS kit as well. I actually like the 645 format but I think you came out on top of this deal!!!
    The Mamiya 7 is next for me!!!
    The KEH guys are great and easy to work with. I live in the ATL area too! I wish we could get a group together.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    Hey David, I have a complete RB kit and I love using that camera more than any of my others. I have never heard anyone say the RZ glass was mediocre so I am going to cal BS too.
    I have two M645 bodies and a complete Bronica ETRS kit as well. I actually like the 645 format but I think you came out on top of this deal!!!
    The Mamiya 7 is next for me!!!
    The KEH guys are great and easy to work with. I live in the ATL area too! I wish we could get a group together.

KEH was very fair.....two of my 645 lenses are worth a bit but just not to KEH Fair enough! They will be on here and E bay later tonight.

Overall the kit will be about $300 out of pocket and and about $100 real money when I factor in what i paid for the 645AF.

It is a beast! With the AE finder on it I dont want to handhold it but W/O the finder it is OK...not much more than the 645.

KEH bargin is great for me....very good stuff at good prices.

Lets hook up! Hapy to let you play with my mamiya 7
    david
    Atlanta, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the amazing thing is that Keh has BRAND NEW with warranty Mamiya glass for insanely cheap right now
    I think 645 mostly but also maybe some RZ stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's been true for some time, Bruce. Also, considering that you can mount the premium rb lenses on an rz, the deals are even better. I recommend the KLs highly.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You'll be surprised how quickly you'll get used to the weight for hand-held work. I regularly used the shift lens (over1kg) on my ProII with the AE Finder and WinderII when shooting cityscapes and occasionally compounded this by switching from a 220 back to a Hasselblad digital back which is quite an additional weight. For a couple of hours, it's still fine but beyond that you can serious neck ache!

I've just added a Fuji GX680 II to my gear - and suddenly, hand-holding the RZ is a joy by comparison!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin