Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,688   Online: 872

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 645AF vs RZ67

Shooter
    Multi Format

645AF vs RZ67

Hi All,
    I have a full 645AF kit, body, 2 backs, electronic remote, 35 Sekor C non AF lens, 55AF lens, 90AF lens, hoods, and all sort of other little crap. I love the entire set up for IQ, ease of use, value etc.....

BUT........

I bought a mamiya 7. I no longer look at 6x4.5 the same way. Honestly it sort of kills me to have this big, beautiful system (645AF) and the tiny negs.

I am now starting to print the 6x7 form the mamiya 7 and it just blows me away.

My thought and question.

KEH has a deal on a 10% extra discount if you trade old gear for new gear. I priced my kit with the on line quote and it looks like about $750 worth of value to them to buy it.

I can get a RZ67 body, 120 back and either 90 or 110 lens for about $350 - $450. A 50mm lens will add $200 or so, a few more backs about $50. Looks to me that, with the discount, I will come out either even or slightly ahead.

With both systems I do mostly landscape sort of stuff.

Slightly older system, fewer bells and whistles but bigger format and overall less expensive to add to....any reason not to do this?

BTW: I can drive out to KEH and do all of this at once..I am local to them

thanks
    david
    david
    Atlanta, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, probably stating the obvious here but the mamiya 7 and the 645af and the rz couldn't be further apart in terms of how they handle. The best thing would be for you to spend quality time with and rz and see for yourself what it does for you. I love my rz pro 2... but I also have a pair of mamiya 6es, a 645 pro, a 645af, and an rb pro SD. They're all very different and serve different purposes.

Since you are local to KEH why not go get an rz in your hands and see what you think.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The RZ and RB seem to be cameras that work best on a tripod rather than handheld. I have an RB and am considering selling it to fund a 645 non-AF system. I know that the neg is a lot smaller, but the handling for hand held work is a world better for me.

In other words, I agree with Keith, they work very differently and the differences are far more than negative size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Policar View Post
    The rz67 is big, clunky, and with inferior lenses to the Mamiya 7. I really like it and it's good for studio stuff and close-ups in particular, but I think it would be redundant with and inferior to the 7 for landscape use... I would get a view camera!
    I agree..and 4x5 is on the close horizon but for now I need to stick with MF until I am really ready to jump into LF.

Mamiya 7 is my walk around MF. Sure, it can be set on a tripod and take great landscapes but it is RF and I dont get very good framing with it. The meter is a PITA but works well for handheld.

I would rather have a tripod mounted SLR for studio style and landscape photos.

The 645AF is almost 100% tripod mounted. Too heavy to hand hold and there is no point in killing myself when I have the mamiya 7.

I find that I almost never use the 645AF anymore. Not that the mamiya 7 replaced it but I am not all that happy with the smaller format.

None of this is really apples to apples...I guess it boils down to the fact I think I want a 6x7 SLR and I have a 6x45 SLR.

The 645AF is a stunning set up in almost all ways but I am moving towards bigger and bigger negatives.
    david
    Atlanta, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why compare 6x7 negs to 6x 4.5 negs regardless of how they were made. There is no basis for comparison here. The 6x7 is far too much larger and will always make a better print other factors such as focus, depth of field and printing issues being equal. 6x7 will always win. No contest here. Mamiya 6x7 lenses will carry this day every time. Trust me on this one!
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by whlogan View Post
    Why compare 6x7 negs to 6x 4.5 negs regardless of how they were made. There is no basis for comparison here. The 6x7 is far too much larger and will always make a better print other factors such as focus, depth of field and printing issues being equal. 6x7 will always win. No contest here. Mamiya 6x7 lenses will carry this day every time. Trust me on this one!
    Logan
    I am with you 100%
    david
    Atlanta, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The RZ is really unreasonably good on a tripod. I also shoot it handheld all the time with the 110/2.8, which really has no equal in 645 or rangefinder land. If you think you'll be ok with the size/weight, go for it. It's cheap and a fun system to shoot with. As a bonus, the Polaroid back puts out a pretty respectably sized image thanks to the lenses' coverage.

I've got a 645 1000s system in the mail, just for the 80/1.9.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    rz67's are beautiful beasts, large, but great cameras nonetheless.

mamiya 7 glass is reputed to be sharper, but I can't seem to tell the difference between negs shot with my friends M7II(with the 80mm or 65mm lens on it), and my RZ glass with the 65ML-A or 110/2.8 lenses. Even the "inferior" 90mm(which is a carry-over from the RB-lenses, same glass in a newer electronic shutter) is super good.

if you want to get a 50mm for the rz67, and don't want to have to worry about distortion, get the 50mm[b/]ULD[/B], its the bees-knees for WA on the RZ system, superb lens!

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a similar revelation as you, and ultimately sold a Mamiya 645 AF system, (negs were too small, I'd rather just shoot 35 mm with a smaller rig than deal with the larger 645 system for negs that weren't all that much bigger than 35mm) and decided to go with the RZ. I shoot both Mamiya 7 with (for the most part) the 80mm lens, and an RZ with the 110mm lens. I can get closer in shots with the RZ, and it fabulous for portraits. The 7 is sharp, and great for those wider views. (I did buy a 50mm for the RZ, and really like that lens, too, but the 90mm I have is less nice, somehow.) Anyway, these two systems work well together, and all my negs are the same format, which I like for consistency.

And yes, and nutty as it sounds, I use the RZ hand held!! I rarely use both cameras at the same time, though!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i too got rid of my 645 rig and use my RZ along with a 4x5 field camera. I handhold the RZ all the time, i actually walked around all of south beach this morning with it hanging from my neck and on my shoulder, not too big of a deal once you get used to it.

Bodies: 1DIII, RZ ProII, Walker Titan 45
    Other: CanoScan 8800F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin