Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,811   Online: 847

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The standing lens on my ETRS is the 40mm. I also have a 50 but like the 40 a smidge better.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    ... What is your primary use for wide angle beside landscape work?
    It's time to get to your question.

Architecture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AbbeyPontigny.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Beautiful image Ralph! So architecture is another real use. I read some where a glamor photographer said W/A was indispensable????
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have the 50mm for the mamiya 6 as well as the 45mm for the RF645 and I find I use them either when I have my back to a wall already or I want to get a subject in the very near foreground as well as another object or landscape in the distance. When I'm out photographing I have the focal lengths (50,75,150) in my head and can pretty much visualize what lens I'm going to need on the camera before even holding it up to my eye. I think atleast one wide angle lens is a must for most MF work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "I have 50 mm Distagon for my Hasselblad. OK, it's 6x6 and not 6x7, but close enough. Anyway, it came in the kit with the camera and I honestly didn't think I'd use it all that much. Thought I'd use the 150 and the 80 most of the time. Boy was I wrong. I like that 50. If I had to give one lens up out of the kit it would be the 150 (not that I'd want to), because I use that one least.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I tend to stay away from wide angles for landscape. I like wides and ultrawides for closer-up scenic things and documentary-style stuff, street etc. For most landscape compositions I tend to go at least normal or longer. On my rb kit, I think the 127 and the 210 get the most use for landscape; on the mamiya 6 it's the 150.

I use my rb/rz wides for close-up and macro, mostly.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    funny you mentioned that, but when I look at what lens sits on my SQ-A most of the time it's definitely 50mm PS. If I had a 40mm I guess it'd be different, at least for 80mm which I never use that much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use wider lenses when I want a wider angle of view. I want a wider angle of view when I want to take pictures in which I feel the wider angle of view would be beneficial, for any of a variety of reasons.

I do it to increase how much of the background appears in the picture, while keeping a foreground subject the same size, meaning that I move closer to the foreground subject. I do it sometimes simply to increase the angle of view while keeping my location the same. I do it when I am shooting without looking through the camera, to allow myself to shoot from perspectives from which I cannot look through the camera and still get the shot, and/or to snap pictures at times at which I cannot shoot if I take the time to look through the camera, to allow myself to get reasonably sharp pictures via less-than-accurate pre focusing and depth of field. I do it sometimes to allow myself to move close enough to significantly warp a subject's appearance, while still capturing the subject within the frame.

I do all of this regardless of format, except inasmuch the format dictates subject matter. I do not as often, for instance, zone focus medium format cameras, or otherwise shoot them sloppily and haphazardly, as I do small format, since I usually choose to use a small format camera to shoot subject matter with which I find these methods of shooting to be helpful. Like you, I find myself using wider lenses less often than normal lenses, though, as I said, this is pretty much across the board, and has more to do with subject matter than it has to do directly with format. In every format, my most-used lenses are long or normal lenses. I find them easier and more "natural" to compose with, and to be better tools with which to create images that I consider "strong," "direct," and "graphic." Using wider lenses is much harder for me, though I do certainly make use of them. I find them to be excellent tools for literal representation, for one thing. They capture a lot of information, though, as I said, arranging it in a palatable fashion is harder and less natural for me than it is with normal and long lenses. When I do, however, I find myself rarely going wider than the equivalent of a 28mm lens on small format, unless necessary for some reason.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    On 6x6, I only have a 50 as a wide angle, but it seems the perfect complement to an 80 (most used) and a 150. It is nice that Hasselblad stuff is so expensive......keeps the load down (:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin