Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,947   Online: 778

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

RZ lens shutter speed problems.

Hi all,

I'm struggling with a 180mm RZ lens. It looks like it is ignoring whatever speed setting is on the camera body and just firing at what I assume is 1/400th. I have tried it in on two bodies with the same results, and I have tried a different lens on the bodies which works. I guess it is an electrical problem which means the lens is reverting to its mechanical default. I've tried cleaning the contacts but nothing changes.

Interestingly I was buying a second hand lens in a shop near my office a few weeks ago and the first 2 lenses they pulled off their shelves exhibited the same behaviour.

Does anyone have any advice?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are your other lenses operating correctly?
    Try cleaning the body & lens contacts with a pencil eraser.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Bruce,

Yes, the other lenses are working fine. I've cleaned the contacts with the pencil eraser. They look cleaner, but there is no change in the behaviour.

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I assume you made sure the collar around the body shutter release isn't set to the emergency setting for when the battery is dead(orange dot setting)?
    I guess if your other lenses are firing at say 1/60th etc that that would be the case.

Just throwing out some thoughts here...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes. Your thought process is the same as mine. No change in behaviour on the orange dot / mechanical override setting. Other lenses are firing at all speeds up to and including 8 seconds.

I'm thinking an electronic fault in the lens maybe?

J.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well considering you said it was common to 2 lenses from that shop I was looking elsewhere but it could be the main spring, any number of things and an electrical short could certainly be one.

Good luck, maybe someone else has some ideas...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make sure the cable release attachment point on the lens is in the correct position. I can't remember if the threaded collar is supposed to be screwed in or out. I don't have my camera in from of me to confirm. I made a similar mistake and thought my lens was broken but it was just in the position for a different firing mode. Make sense? Check the user manual it should explain what I mean far more clearly than I.
    Good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ^ You mean mirror up-time position on the lens?
    If you dont unscrew your cable release correctly, the shutter release socket on the lens barrel will stick in the outtie position (theres a red ring that should not show).
    Good point Jeff.

Try that James, look at the cable release socket on the lens and make sure it has retracted.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks all,

The mirror up socket looks fully retracted to me. I've put a cable in to double check and it seems safe.

The shutter is definitely firing (I've got the back off and can dry fire in multiexposure mode) but it's always fast and changing the shutter speed does nothing.

Am I going to have to open the lens up to find the problem?

Cheers,

J.

Shooter
    Multi Format

battery?

I am sure you already tried it but swapping a battery in the camera maybe? Shutters are controlled electronically...

There's a guy on ebay with several RZ shutters, as-new (or in fact new, possibly) selling for $20/ea. He may have the one for the 180. I can look up the details if need be. The service manual has the numbers for them, each is unique to a given lens (there's at least 13 varieties of shutter model numbers).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin