Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,505   Posts: 1,543,485   Online: 1026

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya lens 300mm f/5.6

Hi, am considering this lens for my mamiya 645 super. Could any one who have this lens give some comment/advices:
    a) is this hand-holdable or must be using either the monopod or tripod for photo taking?
    b) is F/5.6 capable of getting some good "bokeh" effect? Any images sample will be greatly appreciated.
    c) what does the ULD stands for? Are there different versions of this lens other than AF one?
    d) as compared to the 200mm APO lens (the price is much higher), which one will you guys recommend? Other than the focal length different, is this justified for the high price?

Currently am using the 45mm f/2.8, 80mm f/2.8, 150mm lens f/3.5

As usual, thanks for all the comments/feeback.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    300 is a great focal length for me on 645. I do not have this lens. I have only borrowed it from a friend. I don't think it was "ULD" ("ultra low dispersion" glass), but I was very happy. I did hand hold it a few times, just for kicks. I'd say it is possible if you can swing fast enough shutter speeds, but of course you will get better results across the board with a tripod. I shot it at '500 and '1000 only, f/8 and f/5.6, and got sharp enough pix for myself. I am sure it is easier to hand hold than the 200mm f/2.8, even though it is a longer focal length.

The 200mm f/4 is excellent and dirt cheap, and can definitely be hand held easily.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi, thanks for the quick response.

Just wondering is there a 200mm f/4 for mamiya 645? Have seen a 210mm f/4 though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the 210mm f/4 and it is a very nice lens.

It isn't particularly large, and shares the same filter size (58mm) as most of the rest of my lenses.

The basic 300mm lens (non ULD?) is a bit bigger, but strangely a bit lighter as well.

Neither of them offers a particularly close minimum distance, so if you like to shoot really tight head facial portraits, you will need an extension tube.

I attach a useful Mamiya chart, from 2005, which lists the details of a number of lenses. In addition, here are some pictures too:
    Attached Files
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi, thanks for the useful chart of Mamiya lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I made a slip, since I was talking about the 200 2.8 as well. I was talking about the 210.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No problem at all.

Guess this lens is not very popular among the 645 users here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if it is popular, but it is very good, and I like it a lot, for one! You sure can't beat them for the prices they are going for.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want a lens for portraits; you could use the 150mm f/3.5
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Usually I will use the 150mm for portrait shots, but at times just want to have it a bit longer.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin