Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,797   Online: 686

Shooter
    Multi Format

New member of the Mamiya 645 Club

Just took delivery of a Mamiya 645 Super + AE prism + Power Winder eith a 45mm f.2.8 and 80mm/f2.8 lenses. I've loaded it with Kodak BW400CN and can't wait to try it out

The camera is an absolute beast... I thought the Nikon F4 was big and heavy but it's tiny compared to the 645.
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100/FM2n | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the world of 645.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zk-cessnaguy View Post
    Just took delivery of a Mamiya 645 Super + AE prism + Power Winder eith a 45mm f.2.8 and 80mm/f2.8 lenses. I've loaded it with Kodak BW400CN and can't wait to try it out

The camera is an absolute beast... I thought the Nikon F4 was big and heavy but it's tiny compared to the 645.
    I have an F4s and a Mamiya 645 Super. They are about the same size and weight. Do you have the plain F4, or the bigger F4s? Anyway, you'll love the 645. I have done some incredible work with mine...it blows away even the best 35mm work.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    I have an F4s and a Mamiya 645 Super. They are about the same size and weight. Do you have the plain F4, or the bigger F4s? Anyway, you'll love the 645. I have done some incredible work with mine...it blows away even the best 35mm work.
    I think it's more perception than reality... I have the F4e with the big battery grip, but I think I'm just more used to 35mm bodies. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into some landscape work with it.
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100/FM2n | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi, I also have the F4s and comparatively its smaller than the Mamiya 645 super but I would say the weight is about the same (with 6 AA battery). With the Mamiya 645 super I always carry either a tripod or monopod for photo taking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you want to shoot handheld, get the winder grip N if you don't have one already. It makes it handle much like a big 35mm and makes handholding easy. If you're going to do tripod only, then you can do fine with the manual wind crank.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you think the 645 is a beast, check out the RB/RZ 67!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    If you want to shoot handheld, get the winder grip N if you don't have one already. It makes it handle much like a big 35mm and makes handholding easy. If you're going to do tripod only, then you can do fine with the manual wind crank.
    Winder grip: check.
    It was the fact the Mamiya is a proper system camera that made me choose it over the Pentax 645. I like the idea of swappable finders and backs and the option to have the grip or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    If you think the 645 is a beast, check out the RB/RZ 67!

Jeff
    I did and they scared me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats on the camera. It is a great system, as are all of Mamiya's systems.

It is bigger front to back, but doesn't seem like much more of a beast to me than a loaded down (winder, etc.) 35mm or digital camera. I guess you have never shot with a larger medium format camera like a Pentax 67 or Mamiya RZ.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    when am using the 645 super, people always come and ask me "are you working for the local tv station or newspaper?" haha.... just be prepared that you will be getting this kind of remarks or questions whenever you go.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin