Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,245   Online: 792

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6x6 for RB67?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or get a Cosina Voigtländer Bessa III 667 which you can set to 6x7 or 6x6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyMac View Post
    IMO the only reason to deal with the size and weight of the RB/RZ is because of the format. Otherwise I'd get a blad or bronica SQ or something.
    Well there you go. The RB is a monster, and that's no exaggeration. Why carry around that much when you can accomplish the same thing with a much smaller and lighter package?
    Frank Schifano

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    as for vignetting, you could use improper lens hood, let's say you stick the one for for 90 on 65mm lens... as for other thing, I'd never reach for 67 camera if I needed square images.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Allright - mixed opinions here.

The reason to why I was asking is simply because I wanted to know if I had the opportunity to do 6x6 without cropping etc. I do have other 6x6 cameras - folders and TLR but I really love the work I am able to produce with the RB - and the project I am doing at jeg moment involves both 6x6 and 6x7 and given the fact that the RB67 has removal backs it would be really awesome to shoot the series on the same camera.

About vignettes.. Improper lens hood could be an interesting thing to do - ill look into that I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Catton View Post
    Allright - mixed opinions here.

The reason to why I was asking is simply because I wanted to know if I had the opportunity to do 6x6 without cropping etc. I do have other 6x6 cameras - folders and TLR but I really love the work I am able to produce with the RB - and the project I am doing at jeg moment involves both 6x6 and 6x7 and given the fact that the RB67 has removal backs it would be really awesome to shoot the series on the same camera.

About vignettes.. Improper lens hood could be an interesting thing to do - ill look into that I think.
    I have held both RB67 and Graflex 2x3 Speed Graphics graflock roll film backs in my hands. But never both together.

I haven't tried this, so I may be completely wrong. I suspect that the later model Singer RH12 lever wind backs do not fit on the RB67, probably causing trouble with the RB67's interlock mechanisms. (I'm fairly certain the earlier Graflex knob wind ones do not fit.) But I also suspect that the Singer lever wind RH12 insert will fit properly into the body of the RB67's film back. I know that the guts of the Singer 6x6, 6x7, and 6x9 Graflock backs are interchangeable and you can get them mixed up. So, if it does fit, then you would get 12 exposures on the roll with the Singer guts inserted into the RB67 film back.

Without it in front of me I cannot remember where the image masking gate is located (on the back's body or on the insert), so I don't know if it would overlap the image or not. If the mask is in the wrong place (and I think it is in the wrong place) then a bit of judiciously applied Gaffers tape will probably work just fine to get a 6x6 image gate. You could make some slight marks on the RB67's back to guide you in placing the Gaffer's tape if you have to remove and reapply it regularly in the context of the project. And you really ought to have a roll of Gaffer's tape in your kit anyway. It's wonderful stuff.

Proceed on this at your own risk. I have never tried this myself. But do let us know if you try and it works or doesn't work. More knowledge is better, even if it is the knowledge that it doesn't work and the next poor soul shouldn't waste the time!

It's probably cheaper than trying to find one of the rare albino RB67 6x6 film backs. And if it works it would let you use the same camera for both formats for the project.

MB
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 11-21-2010 at 10:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I have held both RB67 and Graflex 2x3 Speed Graphics graflock roll film backs in my hands. But never both together.

I haven't tried this, so I may be completely wrong. I suspect that the later model Singer RH12 lever wind backs do not fit on the RB67, probably causing trouble with the RB67's interlock mechanisms. (I'm fairly certain the earlier Graflex knob wind ones do not fit.) But I also suspect that the Singer lever wind RH12 insert will fit properly into the body of the RB67's film back. I know that the guts of the Singer 6x6, 6x7, and 6x9 Graflock backs are interchangeable and you can get them mixed up. So, if it does fit, then you would get 12 exposures on the roll with the Singer guts inserted into the RB67 film back.

Without it in front of me I cannot remember where the image masking gate is located (on the back's body or on the insert), so I don't know if it would overlap the image or not. If the mask is in the wrong place (and I think it is in the wrong place) then a bit of judiciously applied Gaffers tape will probably work just fine to get a 6x6 image gate. You could make some slight marks on the RB67's back to guide you in placing the Gaffer's tape if you have to remove and reapply it regularly in the context of the project. And you really ought to have a roll of Gaffer's tape in your kit anyway. It's wonderful stuff.

Proceed on this at your own risk. I have never tried this myself. But do let us know if you try and it works or doesn't work. More knowledge is better, even if it is the knowledge that it doesn't work and the next poor soul shouldn't waste the time!

It's probably cheaper than trying to find one of the rare albino RB67 6x6 film backs. And if it works it would let you use the same camera for both formats for the project.

MB
    I've puzzled about these sorts of swaps, too. Just looked over my Pro S manual(p. 56-7. The Pro S manual should be available on the butkus site)and found the weird assortment of "P" and "M" adapters that allowed the RB and Mamiya Press backs to get friendly. Kim should check out the Model K roll film back for the Mamiya Press that switched between 6x4.5/6x6 and 6x9(!?).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I've puzzled about these sorts of swaps, too. Just looked over my Pro S manual(p. 56-7. The Pro S manual should be available on the butkus site)and found the weird assortment of "P" and "M" adapters that allowed the RB and Mamiya Press backs to get friendly. Kim should check out the Model K roll film back for the Mamiya Press that switched between 6x4.5/6x6 and 6x9(!?).
    I've never seen the Mamiya press camera, but all of this stuff is clearly incestuous. Once Mamiya wound up owning it all there was no good reason not to leverage one line's technology to strengthen another line. It's just good business practice.

Hence my expectation that the inserts are all interchangeable, at least all the latter ones. The very old knob winders are probably unworkable. I could be wrong, but I'd bet a cup of coffee and a doughnut it will work.
    Michael Batchelor

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I've never seen the Mamiya press camera, but all of this stuff is clearly incestuous. Once Mamiya wound up owning it all there was no good reason not to leverage one line's technology to strengthen another line. It's just good business practice.

Hence my expectation that the inserts are all interchangeable, at least all the latter ones. The very old knob winders are probably unworkable. I could be wrong, but I'd bet a cup of coffee and a doughnut it will work.
    Safe bet. Mamiya obviously wanted to encourage brand loyalty by offering a slew of these retrofit options. The trick now is to find the bits. It's amazing, though, what washes up on the big auction site and important to recognize what's on offer even if the seller doesn't 8^)

Kim, here's the link for the then current back/adapter options for the RB. Check p. 56-7 of the manual:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya/...rb67_pro_s.htm

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    the mamiya press film holders can be attached indeed via the adapters. they are famous for keeping the film absolutely flat. I've got a k holder + both masks (6x6 and 6x4.5). the k holder is easy to find but the masks are usually missing. for the press models there are even finder masks as well. quite handy, but in the end it's a pain to have to look through the little windows at the back for the next number advancing the film cautiously via the knob.

there is no better thing than a lever. there are graflock lever backs for 6x6 (mine is labeled "singer"). they fit onto one of my mamiya 23's with the rare graflock back. they should also fit onto your rb.

reinhard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the lever backs with Singer on them will not work the interlocks properly. But this is just a guess. I don\'t have pieces to try it.

But since the interlocks are not all that reliable anyway, it may not matter.
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 11-21-2010 at 10:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Batchelor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin