Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,081   Online: 889

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6x6 for RB67?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

6x6 for RB67?

Hi all

I am the happy owner of an RB67 and would like to shoot 6x6 on it. I know I can just crop when printing but the extra frames and the natural vignetting would be nice to include. I have heard that some backs WAS produced at some point? Also Ive heard talks about a RH12 Filmback (graflex I think) that should be able to fit the RB system?

All the best,

Kim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Mamiya RB6X7 does not need fixing. Better get yourself a Hasselblad
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why would one get vignettes? Remember the lenses must cover 7x7 to cover 6x7.

If an RH8 will fit you might get optical vignettes, but I expect you'll get mechanical vignettes from the body?
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This topic comes up every now and then, shooting square on an rb or rz. A good way to do it is with polaroid (I use type 55) on a quadra back, that's what I do. You get ~7x7 images. There are some square backs that show up on ebay every great now and then, but they are exceedingly rare. If you badly want it then you might need to make yourself a mask to go on your film holder. Or just crop.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I'm in agreement with the other posters on this topic. The RB is a great camera just as it is, and I wouldn't start messing with it. If I really wanted 6x6, I'd get a mask for the viewfinder that crops down the viewsreen to a square and crop off the rest under the enlarger. Hand the extra two frames you get with a true 6x6 camera. You'll need to run many many rolls of film before you recoup the cost of a 6x6 back. And besides, with a 6x6 back, you loose the option of making a rectangular negative and its extra real estate.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 6x7 option, and later cropping to 6x6, gives a small but useful amount of indirect movements with benefits in shape control.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    AFAIK, neither the RH12 nor the 6x6 backs are very common. But as I prefer to compose as much as is possible in the viewfinder (of whatever camera I am using) I see your point about getting a dedicated back.
    Last edited by Jerevan; 11-18-2010 at 07:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Catton View Post
    Hi all

I am the happy owner of an RB67 and would like to shoot 6x6 on it. I know I can just crop when printing but the extra frames and the natural vignetting would be nice to include. I have heard that some backs WAS produced at some point? Also Ive heard talks about a RH12 Filmback (graflex I think) that should be able to fit the RB system?

All the best,

Kim
    Honestly, I'd simply let the RB do what it does so well--produce 6x7 negs/slides. The 6x6 options for it are practically impossible to source and just might not work satisfactorily. There are tons of 6x6 camera options available from dirt cheap to Hasselblad. My take is: want 6x6? Shoot a 6x6 camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    ... The RB is a great camera just as it is, and I wouldn't start messing with it.

Oh now, c'mon. Modding is a great way to utilize those $10 as-is KEH treasures. It's worked well for me so far.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    IMO the only reason to deal with the size and weight of the RB/RZ is because of the format. Otherwise I'd get a blad or bronica SQ or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin