Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,850   Online: 883

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Top-Cat,
    I do believe "Afghan Girl" was taken with a 105mm/2.5 Nikkor.
    You are correct http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_Girl check the link for confirmation, that is an amazing lens I really love mine and the results I get with it.

Anyway, I shoot Medium format most of the time. I have folders, I have a Pentax 6X7, I even have a Kodak Douflex twin lens. For me it is less of a question of what format, and a question of what type of camera today? I tend to carry a folder of some sort if I want a pocket point and shoot for the day, on vacation, and when I am hiking or rock climbing. I use the 6X7 for landscape, and casual stuff where I might want to have sharp focus, or better DOF control, and the weight is not a problem, that said I have taken it hiking but by the end I wished I had a backpack for it.

If I am shooting action, stuff I need a zoom for, things where I need both auto focus and a motor drive, I shoot with the 35mm. If I want something that only one of my 35mm lenses will deliver I shoot 35mm. They are also nice for vacation because of their size and the availability of film on the road.

I do have to admit, that sometimes no mater how heavy or awkward it might be I have carried a medium format to places I would rather not have because I wanted something only the lens on that camera would do.

I shoot Stereo Photos only in 35mm because that't how I roll.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm doing MF street photography. I am a former digital shooter, converted to film due the way it looks and then to MF, because of the way it handles perspective and DOF. The carry around camera solution I found was to buy a MF rangefinder (well, I bought two). There are plenty of sweet folding 6x6 or 6x9s around, which are cheap, pocketable, silent and have very good optics, sometimes rivaling contemporary MF lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The only time I don't use MF is if I'm hiking more than 15 miles, or if the emulsion I want to use isn't available in 120/220.

One of these days I'll learn how to use my 4x5 monorail and use that for stuff that doesn't move and within 100m of a car Or if I get a pack mule to carry all of it lol. But again, there is even a bigger emulsion problem there...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is a good thread for me!

I am leaving next week for a week in the evergades nat park and big cypress preserve. We wil be camping, looking around and taking pictures.

MY kit.....!
    leica M8
    leica M6
    Hassy x pan
    Mamiya 7
    Mamiya RZ67

I really thoguht about this a bit...
    M8 for an "always with me" body. My GF does appreciate the digital files for speed of view and the IQ is amazing
    M6 for 35mm B+W if I dont feel like the mamiya 7 or if i need lens options I do not have in the mamiya 7 OR if I want to shoot a bunch and not fool with changing film all the time
    X pan....I really consider this MF. I swap B+W with extachrome in it. B+W seems to be more "street" style trip photos and the extachrome sems to be more didicated, composed, tripod mounted photos.
    Mamiya 7. The main user. I use this for almost everything and it gets the most use after the M8
    Mamia RZ67. I use this when I have gone out with the intention of taking pictures. It is not a "carry round" camera at all! I have the kit set up in such a way I can lug it some distance in only minor misery. I enjoy it the most and believe it produces the best quality negatives.

I wll be vehicle based for this trip!

Day to day I am sold on the M8/mamiya 7 combo
    david
    Atlanta, GA

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
    I wll be vehicle based for this trip!
    David, a question for you:

What would you take if you were on foot?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mamiya 7 and x pan or x pan and M6 depends on what i am going to do.

The mighty X pan is jsut amazing

I originally thought of the X pan as a wide 35mm but now I see it more as a skinny MF. The quality of the lens really blows anything short of some leica lenses away; and it gves them a run for their money!
    david
    Atlanta, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My camera arsenal ranges from Minox to 4x5 and its accumulation spans fifty+ years. In the last few years, being retired, I have gravitated to medium format out of a sort of "Goldilocks Theory" -- not too big, not too small, ju-u-ust right. That said, I now have a assortment of MF gear to choose from. For what I consider "really serious" work, I go to my Bronica SQ-A. When portability is an issue, I have a 6x6 (Perkeo II) and a 6 x 9 (Ercona II) folder. For reasons maybe no more than just plain GAS, I recently acquired a Yashica 124G which has been my walk-around gear on some recent trips.

I've done some pinhole work with my old B&J 4x5 in recent years, but I don't have a good enlarger, or even a good space for 4x5, and the film is expensive. (Much of what I used to shoot on 35mm is now done with "alternate technology" which means the pictures are free -- after the initial 3 or 4 grand of capital outlay! )

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I use MF 90% of the time, and although I have a bronica etrs outfit I use either folders or one of my 3 TLRs,I like having just the one lens to use, and not having to carry bagfuls of gear,mostly I take a camera,weston master 5 exposure meterand some filters, with some of the folders a seperate rangefinder, and I am much the same with 35mm, mostly fixed lens folders/riged body classics, if I am likely to need lenses I have a couple of old pentax slrs, they get used once in a blue moon,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been wanting to go to MF but since everything I have is for 35mm, I would need to get a camera, reels and tanks, enlarger and everything all over again since my Nikor reels are 35mm/126, my Durst M300 is 35mm/126 or smaller, for hybrid workflow I can scan 35mm negatives or else prints. I find with sharp lenses and good sharp 100 ISO film I can print 11x14" prints just dandy with my 35mm setup, so I have yet to go to medium format at all. Perhaps one day...

Sometimes I think it would be simpler for me to skip MF and just shoot sheet film for landscapes, develop it in my trays and make contact prints instead of enlarging them at all. I wouldn't have to buy anything but the cameras and lenses at least.

I always carry at least two bodies with me in case one packs it in or to shoot different emulsions. I usually have at least 3 lenses and accessories as well, flashes, either in a small bag, a medium bag or a big heavy backpack if I'm going all out. For the weight I carry I could easily carry a large format camera. My backpack weighs about 18kg/40lbs fully loaded (no kidding) with 5 bodies and many lenses. On a good hike I never know if I'll do macro of moss and insects and flowers, telephoto of birds, wide angle landscapes so I find it best to carry it all. Good exercise too...

I suppose I could get MF film developed and printed for me but that just seems wrong somehow now that I'm really getting into doing it myself in 35mm again.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just picked up from the lab a roll of Ektachrome 100GX that I shot in my Mamiya 645 Pro. Once you have looked at medium format slides on a light box, you'll have one answer to the OP's question. If you can then turn around and project them, you'll have an even better one.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin