Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,957   Posts: 1,558,044   Online: 1114

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Any time I'm going to shoot at a slower pace (less optional automation), take fewer shots (cost/fewer frames per film), won't be disruptive (an Olympus 35RD is much less noticeable or quiet than many MF cameras), won't be short on light (I don't have a f/1.4 MF lens), etc.

Even if I'm shooting mostly with 35mm, I'll often take a small folding MF camera or TLR with me in case good situations to use either come up. I like the larger negatives DOF options. I don't have a large format camera so the choice is just 35mm or MF at the moment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    when? Anytime I can. MF is my new standard. I never leave the house without it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's curious, every time I want to reply to a post, the poster just before me had already stated my POV.

so... : go MF everytime you can.

MF slr aren't much bulkier than a "good" 35mm (ex: Canon T90) with a handful of accessories.

35mm (for me) comes in handy only for the quite good collection on lenses, filters and dedicated flashlights I have for it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Top-Cat,
    I do believe "Afghan Girl" was taken with a 105mm/2.5 Nikkor.

check out afghan girls' predecessor by photographer larry burrows.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Lorenzo, what MF slr are you talking about?

My SQA takes up more space and is more difficult to carry around than my F4s, particularly if I want to take a second lens. Aside from rangefinders, what MF slrs are significantly smaller?

Edit: Simple answer, 645 ones.

Shooter
    35mm
    now that I finally got myself access to a negative scanner, and learned how to strip the camera down (using manual winder instead of motorized and waist level viewfinder instead of pentaprism) - as well as a good wide angle lens (I personally think wide angle is most suited for non-specific walk around use) I can see how MF is more of an alternative.

I kept forgetting how much better it can be sometimes to use a waist-level finder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    what MF slrs are significantly smaller?

Well... you are right.
    But given my camera bag, I could put inside

- my ( ) Eos 30D with vertical grip, flashgun, and 2 extra lenses

or

- my ( ) ETR-Si (645 MF) with quick grip, sekonic meter, 2 or 3 filters and a handful of film rolls

so (to me) it's the same to carry around a DSLR or a MF SLR (apart for the joy of shooting film....).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    Lorenzo, what MF slr are you talking about?

My SQA takes up more space and is more difficult to carry around than my F4s, particularly if I want to take a second lens. Aside from rangefinders, what MF slrs are significantly smaller?

Hasselblads (yes, it's me again... )
    Seriously, Hasselblad 6x6 SLR cameras are not bigger than 6x4.5 SLRs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Now days I'm a hobbiest only. I have 35mm, MF and LF equipment and love them all, but my normal go to gear is my MF. I have both a Rolleiflex and an RB-67 and unless I get an itch to use something else, they get the lions share of use. I like the Rollei because it's not too large and doesn't weigh like the RB so when I want to travel light, that's my choice. That said, normally I put all my cameras on a tripod when I go shooting so weight is not that big of a deal. It really just depends what strikes my fancy when I decide to go out and shoot. I don't use my 35mm or LF equipment as much as I would like. I don't use my 35mm kit because my MF equipment is just so much better in IQ, and I don't have an excuse for not using my LF kit. It weighs about the same as the RB and I carry it in a regular backpack so the weight isn't really an issue. Anyway, for me,transitioning from small to medium to large format has always been seamless. I've never noticed any difference seeing the image or having the camera get in the way of my composition because of size. It's really a matter of how much image quality I want or need. Cheers.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use MF when, for some reason, a tripod is impractical. Or for snapshots when I'm out shooting LF; I have a MF folder in my 8x10" kit bag.

It might be a small compact folder, or a ETRS kit with 40, 50, 75, 105, 150 and 250mm lenses plus macrotubes and teleconverter, speed grip, AE prism and four backs. But if I bring all that, I might just as well save some weight and take a Speed Graphic and a pocket-full of barrel lenses?

What determines format choise for me is just as much the number of exposures I plan to make: Less than 10 - LF. 10-50 - MF. More than 50 - 35mm (or DSLR, don't tell anyone! )
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin