Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,000   Online: 897

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I never figured it out myself. Of all my cameras I've found I tend to go between MF and 35mm more on whim than panning. I do tend to take the 35mm rangefinder out more often as it goes into my jacket pocket and therefore is easier as a daily carrier right now. That said, I carry my ETRS when going to a more specific place where I might get in some shooting of more than a casual nature. Now admittedly, I do not get away from 35mm even then as I carry a 35mm back when I go out with the ETRS. I tend to use the backs in lieu of the lenses. I use a 40mm lens as a standard lens. With the 120 back it effectively has an angle of a 28mm on 35mm so I get the 2 focal lengths carrying less weight as well as economizing. I'm not sure how long I'll continue to do this as recently, I've dusted off my Rolleiflex T and will be getting it serviced. As it weighs less than the ETRS with the WLF I can see it as a daily carrier though it is too large for a pocket obviously.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since the ETRSi is my only camera, I have no choice :-) But the basic kit (body+back+wlf+75/f2.8) is quite portable and fits into a small camera bag (not much bigger than DSLR+kit lens).

I've learned to take it almost everywhere, even if I don't get the change to take it out of the bag. A camera you don't have with you when a picture presents itself is the worst one in the world :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Reasons that I choose MF would be:
    1. I enjoy the relationship with my subjects/world when using a waist level finder.
    2. I can load exchangeable backs with different film stocks (vs 35mm).
    3. I only have to shoot 10-15 frames before I can develop them and see my images.
    4. I can spot good/bad negs quickly and easily without having to make prints/scans (particularly 6x7).
    5. Mamiya 645 Super with WLF isn't much heavier than a battery grip 35mm SLR.
    6. Subject isn't moving too fast and won't take endless shots to get right.
    7. I am not tied to a tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingy View Post
    The Mamiya 645s are heavy when one is used to conventional 35mm cameras, but lightweight compared to large format equipment.
    This is very true but I find that the metered prism finder is actually pretty heavy. Stick on the WLF and it becomes much lighter. The bulk is then only slightly larger than 35mm but the weight isn't much more.
    Somehow the weight of a Sekonic doesn't count when it's on your belt

I generally prefer the contemplation associated with shooting large format but being tripod bound and carrying the extra weight are the limiting factors, there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favourite everyday camera is my Hexar AF. Compared to it's MF equivalent (or at least closest to) the Fuji GA645w, there isn't much difference. If I had the dough, I would easily buy it. Comparing bronica rf645 (or mamiya 6/7) to a Leica Mx, well, then the difference isn't huge either (well, maybe a bit huge with the mamiya). MF doesn't have to be obtrusive, tripod-bound or cumbersome to schlep around. It's the whole mirror assembly thing of MF slr that keeps the MF-hard-to-use-and-carry-myth alive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Small PS. Rf and Vf mf can of course be huge too! took a quick comparison shot between two almost-contemporaries. The sharp but akward Canon A35F (smallest RF I own, my rollei 35 is not a RF) and the brilliant mamiya super 23 (biggest RF and MF camera I own):

Shooter
    Medium Format
    MF for 75% of my work. Perkeo II for travel/carry around. Hasselblad for most serious work. Rolleiflex when I'm feeling nostalgic.

35mm for kids, quick family shots. F100 when I know I'm shooting. Olympus XA in my pocket going to work.

LF - when I'm really out to photograph (usually at 5a.m. on my own). This is as much therapy as photography.

For me, MF has the best balance of technical potential to ease-of-use. I'd have to say, though, that my Perkeo folder has produced more keepers than anything lately. It's just so easy to take along and use.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin