Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,900   Online: 1062

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Rolleicord V Prices?

My son is a visual Arts (photography) major in HS and needs an inexpensive MF camera. I'm considering a Rolleicord V. What would be the approximate prices for a Rolleicord V in Good, Very Good, or Excellent condition that do not need a CLA?
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would say that you search the Ebay ended auctions, it gives an overview on prices.

I've seen them go from 150$ in good condition to several 100's of dollars for one in mint condition with original box and stuff. It also depends if you take a Va or a Vb (with the Vb you can detach the hood to replace the focusscreen), the Va seems to be a little cheaper. I would pay a little more if I had the guarantee that it had a CLA, otherwise the chances are you have to send it in at some point or another, this will be more expensive then paying a little more at first.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is possible to get a bargain sometimes. Mine was about £30.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Might think about buying one needing CLA and having it done. You would for sure know what you have and not have a ton in it. On the other hand, you could buy a pretty one, for a lot more money, and it need servicing in 6 months.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Alas, when you're not in need of or looking for one, there will be bargains galore in the up-to-$150 range, including the legendary garage-sale $15 finds. When you need one, you'll find someone trying to sell for $400 who thinks you're on crack for asking a cent less.

You might consider a Yashicamat or other TLR if price is a main consideration. Mamiya C220s or C3s with lenses can be had cheaply, as well. Really, it's more about what you can find in good condition of the general type of camera you want, rather than being laser-focused on any one particular model...they all take pictures just fine if they're in good working shape...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might also try posting a wanted to buy ad in the classifieds here, I have often found stuff that way. If you are open to different TLRs it would probably help as far as flushing one out.

A Rolleicord V in very good condition just sold this month in the classifieds here for $150.

Oh, and if you want to start him out with a truly inexpensive MF camera, folders can often be had for less than $50. It will not have a rangefinder at that price, most likely, but the optics won't be too bad stopped down and it will give him a chance to burn some film and work with developing it and such. The Rolleiflex is definitely a nicer camera, but the folders have their charms. I seem to keep accumulating them, they are a lot of fun.

Images
    To keep in mind, a quality overhaul of a Rolleicord, by someone who specializes in Rollei, will run about $125, and will include complete teardown and cleaning of the shutter blades, adjusting optical axis and focus, straightening the back, and replacement of dubious parts with quality parts on hand, and the camera will then work properly for years and years—a bargain. A similar overhaul of a Rollei might be the same, or possibly double if the more complicated transport mechanism needs to be overhauled.

A regular cla might get the Rollei up and running, only to result in a sticky shutter and broken heart shortly thereafter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You may want to consider alternatives as some MF systems are absolute bargains now. Look at the Bronica for example. You can buy a basic system for less than a cheap digital.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Rolleicord lenses are faraway better than the toyotas. You made a good selection and stick with it.
    If you find a Zeiss Triotar one , you would expect greatest quality black and white and color.
    But it can be needed a CLA and your sons grade worth it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Rolleicord lenses are faraway better than the toyotas. You made a good selection and stick with it.
    If you find a Zeiss Triotar one , you would expect greatest quality black and white and color.
    But it can be needed a CLA and your sons grade worth it.
    Agree that Rolleicord lenses are superior, but Toyotas get much better miles per gallon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin