Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,969   Online: 839

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbaty View Post
    Thanks all. It's probably a number of factors. The first time I used the 45 Prism everything from my first half-dozen rolls was way out of focus. Then I realized it had a diopter adjustment .
    That is not Hasselblad's fault. That is an Operator Assisted Failure [OAF] and can happen with any viewfinder on any camera.

I suspect the screen I'm using may be another problem. I mostly shoot people, and they typically don't come with nice, straight vertical lines, so I find myself trying to eyeball good focus _outside_ of the center split image. I'm wondering if I should try a screen without the split.
    Your screen is not aligned correctly or your 500C/M is out of alignment. A factory trained Hasselblad repairman can correct that easily.

I love everything about the Hasselblad - except focusing it.
    Yep, see a Hasselblad repairman and you camera problems will go away.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you are probably spoiled by small format. Medium format cameras are generally more difficult to focus (and large format harder still). With small format, the lenses are generally faster, the viewfinders are generally brighter, and they have more depth of field, which covers less than perfect focus, giving you more confidence to just take the shot because you are not second guessing your focus. I find Hassies and Rollies to focus with about the same difficulty if they have comparable focusing screens. I find the Rollei's side focusing knob to be a bit easier to use with a WLF and no hand grip, though. If I have a hand grip, I don't find a focusing helical any more difficult to use than the side knob on a TLR. I also find that WLFs are generally brighter than prisms.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Had the same experience with a Hassy and Accute-Matte screen.
    The problem is, as mcgrattan already said, that very fine screens (Accute Matte), while very bright, are also much more difficult to focus, particularly for us who have less then perfect vision (read: "old farts")
    A coarser (and darker) screen is much easier to focus because the subject "pops" in and out of focus, i.e. it's a lot easier to find the EXACT moment/setting when something is in focus.

You can compare your problem to focusing with plain glass (not ground glass). It would be very difficult to see when something is in focus. The screen would be very bright, though

My situation with the Hassy + AccuteMate finder improved somewhat when I used the other eye for focusing, and even more when I used the (eye)glasses.

I prefer plain ground glass (with fresnel), though - which is what I have in my Mamiya C330, Rollefilex and other TLR cameras.
    At least it's easy to see when something is or isn't in focus, dim as some of those screens may be.
    Last edited by Denis P.; 11-24-2010 at 10:10 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos, added a better explanation

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Your screen is not aligned correctly or your 500C/M is out of alignment. A factory trained Hasselblad repairman can correct that easily.
    What??? You must be kidding...

The split image needs straight lines. No straight lines, and it's just a thing in the way.

How you arrive at the conclusion that the screen is out of alignment is a minor mystery.

Yep, see a Hasselblad repairman and you camera problems will go away.
    I would love to see what your explanation for that 'advice' could be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    What??? You must be kidding...

The split image needs straight lines. No straight lines, and it's just a thing in the way.

How you arrive at the conclusion that the screen is out of alignment is a minor mystery.

I would love to see what your explanation for that 'advice' could be.
    I am not kidding. I was in Samys last year when a Hasselblad owner had that complaint. The repairman said it was because the ground glass was not in alignment. It took him only a few minutes to fix the problem. Some of the split screen problems are from alignment issues; some are the screens themselves; some people are not happy with a particular split screen. The reasons vary.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am not kidding. I was in Samys last year when a Hasselblad owner had that complaint. The repairman said it was because the ground glass was not in alignment. It took him only a few minutes to fix the problem. Some of the split screen problems are from alignment issues; some are the screens themselves; some people are not happy with a particular split screen. The reasons vary.
    Then that repairman should step back from what he is doing, take some time out thinking about whether he is in the right job.
    If he even touched the screen, he messed up a perfectly good camera.

How, do you suppose, did he 'fix the problem' of there not being straight lines in the subject to focus on using a split image rangefinder, by adjusting the screen?

I heard some crazy things, but this...
    Would you also suggest to have the grey winter skies in landscape photos fixed by letting a repairman adjust the film position?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some of the split screen problems are from alignment issues; some are the screens themselves; some people are not happy with a particular split screen. The reasons vary.
    I don't expect it to be an alignment problem, since I do seem to eventually end up finding focus - especially if there are some nice straight lines to help. However, I suppose a slight misalignment could exacerbate the problem and it's probably time for a CLA of some sort anyway.

Since I do wear glasses, a prescription viewfinder (as suggested) might be something to try.

A screen without the split image feels like a good first thing to try. I have noticed I spend a lot of time moving the split image "out of the way" while trying to focus. Does anyone know if the 42204 model number is what I'm looking for?

Thanks again.

Of course I could always pick up an entire second kit. That usually fixes *something*!
    ----
    Jack Baty
    Director of Unspecified Services
    http://jackbaty.com | Flickr
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have both the 500cm and a rolleicord III, the hasselblad has the older dimmer screen in it but it is very bright compared to the rolleicord. I find the rolleicord is a lot easer to focus because of the knob instead of the ring and it pops lots better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a split-rangefinder screen but it also has a microprism collar around the spit.
    Another issue with a focussing aid is that focussing anything not in the center of the frame can be rough and we all know what happens with focus recompose and wide apertures.

My standard advice is to shoot with your camera and get to know it. In other words practice , no way around it. It took me a bit of usage before I got comfortable but it is doable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin